One Year Prior (Pt. 1)

**TRIGGER WARNING: SCENES OF BULLYING/ABUSE, PROCEED WITH CAUTION**

-----

In the deep recesses of my brain, I somehow knew it was a bad idea. I should've ignored the note and went with my original evening plan that involved a combination of Netflix and junk food. But I was naïve and hopeful; it was senior year after all.

I started working out the previous summer and ended up losing twenty pounds. I went to my mother's local boutique and bought a whole new wardrobe for the year.

I thought everything changed for the better. That I changed for the better.

But I was dead wrong.

~*~

December 21st. Four days till Christmas. Ten days till New Years. And most importantly, the night of the N.L.A. Winter Formal. I never had the opportunity to attend in my prior years and this was my final chance.

And I was very excited.

"Now baby, you sure you don't want me to stick around?" My mother asked for probably the fiftieth time that night.

"No mom, you have so much to do at the shop," I remarked as I unbuckled my seat belt.

She glanced in the backseat at her plastic folders then back to me. Mom was planning on heading straight to her shop after dropping me off and picking me back up. I told her my 'date' would be taking me home. She nibbled on her lip, obviously torn and she had every right to be.

I had been bullied all throughout middle and high school. I've yet to attend a single pep rally, sports' event, dance, you name it. But this year was different. It was my senior year and I decided that change was needed. Quoting my dear side mama Caya, I managed to 'grow a spine over summer break'.

So I changed my look and walked the halls with my chin held higher than normal. It took a few weeks, but the taunts and jests simmered. Mean words morphed into mean looks and by the time I returned from Thanksgiving break, the target on my back all but fizzled out.

My plan worked. I mean, I wasn't exactly Miss Popular but I wasn't a social leper either. I even managed to attract the attention of Charlie Ramirez who's a fellow mixed nut like myself (Italian and Hispanic to be exact) with spiky ink black hair, olive skin and eyes the color of the forest.

And he seemed to like me.

The day before winter break was supposed to begin, I went to my locker and was surprised to see a beautiful pink rose with a small envelope attached. Inside was a ticket to the winter formal and a note signed by Charlie asking me to accompany him to the dance. His only request however, was that I wear the color pink.

'It compliments your rich skin and brings out your eyes.'

Funnily enough, I wore a baby pink blouse that day.

"There's plenty of chaperones mom; I'll be fine," I grinned.

She sighed in response, "ok, but please call me if you need something alight? I'm not far."

I nodded and rushed out of the car before she could say anything else. With a finally wave and air kiss from her, I entered the community center. The wooden paneled walls were decorated with bright white lights and paper snowflakes. I walked around a corner to the center the building that held the largest room.

A set of French double doors were propped open leading to the already bustling gathering inside. Bubble gum pop music blasted from the speakers courtesty of the DJ in the corner. My senior class that held roughly 300 teens were scattered about, either dancing in the middle, lingering on the walls, or consuming goodies at the buffet table (supplied by Caya's restaurant mind you).