Krashing and Burning

The Orlando Pride returned from Portland to a throng of well-wishers at the Orlando International Airport. A momentous season that saw the club rise from ninth in the NWSL to third ended in tragic fashion by way of a 4-1 loss to the Thorns in the semifinals, but those in attendance to welcome the team back were not dwelling on the negative ending to the season, but the joy of their team reaching the playoffs in its second season in the league. As the players moved through the terminal, some stopped to sign autographs for, take selfies with, and accept hugs from their supporters. The team captain, Ashlyn Harris, walked slightly ahead of the rest of the team so that there would be little or no opportunity for the media to question her about her rumored relationship with her teammate, Ali Krieger. The two have been together for several years now, but neither one has confirmed their relationship publicly. This has led to some awkward moments after games when one or the other would be approached by fans of both genders wishing to make their acquaintance away from the field.

After Ashlyn and Ali got their luggage from baggage claim, they headed home to their condo near Orlando City Stadium. With just a few days of peace before the NWSL Championship is to be played on their home field by the Thorns and the North Carolina Courage, Ashlyn hoped that she and Ali could FINALLY talk about going public, since next Monday all ten NWSL teams are to publish their lists of protected players ahead of the Expansion Draft on November 3rd. Without the public confirmation, Ashlyn didn't see how the Pride management could choose to make Ali one of the nine players made unavailable for selection, given the depth of the squad and the general upside of several players. The two barely talked on the trip from the airport, with Ali drifting in and out of consciousness and Ashlyn stuck in her own head over how to phrase her request in a way that her girlfriend could understand and possibly meet it.

The pair got to their condo and took the elevator up to their floor. After tossing their bags on the bed, they curled up on the couch and turned on ESPNEWS to catch up on what happened while they were on the plane.

Kevin Connors: Saturday's NWSL final between Portland and North Carolina promises to be one that should set a new record for attendance at Orlando City Stadium, but elsewhere in the league, all eyes are concentrated on next Monday afternoon, when the teams submit their protected lists for the November 3rd expansion draft that will stock the Vancouver Legacy and the Philadelphia Hearts with ten players a piece. We are pleased to have both teams' head coaches in the studio with us. On my left is Andrea Neil, the head coach of Vancouver, and on my right is Philadelphia's boss, Erica Dambach. Andrea, how do you expect to build your roster as you will have the first selection on the 3rd?

Andrea Neil: We want the Legacy to really represent the rich heritage of soccer in our region and country, so you can expect us to look for Canadians to bring into the fold.

Kevin: Erica, what is the Hearts' strategy for the draft?

Erica Dambach: We are seeking to put a competitive team on the field while also taking a regional perspective on our choices. There are several former Penn State players in NWSL at the moment, and hopefully one or two of them can be selected by us.

Kevin: Predictions for Saturday?

Andrea: Portland 2-1

Erica: North Carolina 1-0

Kevin: Thank you, ladies. When we return, an update from Yankee Stadium, where the Yankees attempt to remain in the postseason as they play the Cleveland Indians in Game 4 of the American League Divisional Series.

Ashlyn paid close attention to Erica's comments about looking to get players connected to Penn State or the greater Philadelphia area as a starting point in the draft and started to ponder the possibility that Ali could very well be selected by the Hearts right away if the Pride don't protect her. Deciding that tonight isn't a good time to bring up the relationship question, Ashlyn turned in for the night, with Ali not far behind her.