2017 NWSL Expansion Draft (Player Reaction)

Reaction to the results of the Expansion Draft came from a number of points around the US and Canada. The Canadian Women's National Team was gathered in Vancouver for camp ahead of their two-match series with the United States and followed the draft while having breakfast.

Diana (to Steph): D-Day! Nervous?

Steph: Not a bit! I know where I'm going and I am going to LOVE IT!

Diana: Which ones of our buds is getting you?

Steph: Just wait. They have to get the two designated players out of the way before any other selection can be made.

While the two veterans were talking, Desiree Scott kept refreshing her web browser to check on the status of the picking. After a few more attempts, the page showed the order of selection and the Legacy's first pick of Christine Sinclair. The auto-refresh tab was also activated, to refresh every 5 minutes.

Desiree: Things are underway. Vancouver took Sinc.

Steph: Yes, and the Hearts will take Ali Krieger next. Then the real draft starts.

On the next refresh, the page showed the Hearts' selections of Krieger and Labbe.

Desiree: Philadelphia took you, Steph.

Steph: I know. Ali told me it was going to happen when we talked on Monday or Tuesday.

Diana: Any idea who else they are targeting?

Steph: She couldn't tell me who else they had decided upon, but with them holding the top pick available after her and Sinc were taken, she was free to let me know their intention to take me.

Desiree: Vancouver took Amy Rodriguez from our team.

Diana: Do you think they're going to keep her?

Desiree: Probably not. Most likely they'll send her to a preferred location in exchange for someone they really want that was protected.

Meanwhile, in Allston, MA, Kristie, Steph, Sam, and Abby were following along on Steph's laptop.

Steph: Sinclair to Vancouver, Krieger and Labbe to Philly, ARod and Sabrina D'Angelo to Vancouver. The Hearts are up now.

Kristie: Ali DID get taken by Philly. I hope she told their staff about my desire to leave Houston for an east coast team and that they are receptive to taking me.

Sam: You're serious about playing for the Hearts?

Kristie: Yes, Petunia! With those two cornerstones already on the roster, it will be something far different than most expansion teams that we've seen in the league.

Abby: I love both of those players, and I'm sure they're great teammates, so if you do end up with them, you'll probably feel welcome and less fearful of this being another temporary stop.

Steph: Pack your bags, sweetie. You are now the property of the Philadelphia Hearts, as is my now-former teammate Jen Hoy.

Kristie: Isn't she from somewhere around Philly?

Steph: I know she's from PA, but not exactly sure what city or how close it is to there.

Sam: Congrats, sis. I hope the next time we play, I won't have to actually cover you.

Kristie: So do I.

Steph continued to watch the selections pop up on her screen, with the halftime break one pick from commencing.