When Eighteen Became One

Once everyone had arrived and were seated in the video room, Wendy called the day's proceedings to order.

Wendy: Welcome, everyone. This is the first day of the rest of your life.

A couple of players laughed at her joke, but most let it slide.

Wendy: We are pleased to have you as members of the inaugural Philadelphia Hearts NWSL team. There are currently 14 players on the roster, with more to be added through the college draft in January, try-outs, and any trades we might make. Before we go any further, I'd like to introduce the club's technical staff. Standing to my right is our head coach, Erica Dambach. To her right is our goalkeeper coach, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Kristin Luckenbill. On my left is assistant coach and 2012 Olympic Bronze Medalist Carmelina Moscato. Now that you know us, let's have us get to know you and one another.

Ali started with the introductions. "I'm Ali Krieger,former US National Team player and captain of the Hearts."

Carm: Don't be saying former. You'll be back in camp once Jill is sent packing.

Steph: Stephanie Labbe, goalie extraordinaire, Yogi, and Rio's mom.

Diana: Diana Matheson, but most people call me Shrimp, DMath, or hey you!

The rest of the team introduced themselves in turn, with Jen Hoy wrapping things up.

Wendy: Next, we will briefly go through the club's policies and procedures.

*Pay for the season begins on March 1, with the first month's salary spread out over three payments, one on the 1st, one the 16th, and the third on the 31st. This gets money into your hands at the start of preseason to deal with preliminary expenses. Once April starts, we will move to our standard two-payment schedule on the 15th and 30th of the month.

*The facility is accessible 24/7 so you can use the common office areas, the weight room, the video room, and the lounge. Each player will have an ID that will double as their electronic means of entry.

*We will fly one day prior to road matches except in the case of ones at Sky Blue, where we'll travel by coach, and any games at LA, Vancouver, Portland, or Seattle, when we will leave two days prior. As for roommate situations, couples will be allowed to room together. We will treat you as grown women and we expect you to act as such as it pertains to extracurricular activities prior to games.

*Our weekly media availability will be on Wednesdays from 1-3pm, with daily training taking place 10am-12pm.

Wendy turned the session over to Erica who added a couple of points of emphasis. Wendy re-took command of the room and laid out the week's schedule for the players before having Ali come forward to handle the rest of orientation, starting with "Two Truths And A Lie". Once everyone put their three statements on the note cards provided, they were turned in and Ali read them aloud, one at a time, starting with her own. (Guess which one is false, and don't use Googleto figure it out)

Ali Krieger: My full first name is Alexandra. I nearly died from a blood clot following surgery. I won an NCAA title in 2005 with Penn State.

Stephanie Labbe: I played in Norway before returning to the US to play in NWSL. I have two middle names. I played my college soccer at UConn.

Bianca Sierra: I have played with four of the other 12 NWSL players on the Hearts during my previous time in the league. All four of my names end in A. I went to college at Santa Clara.

Stephany Mayor: I am the only player on this team not to graduate from a US college. I've played in three World Cups. I was scoring at nearly a goal-a-game pace while in Iceland.

Liz Eddy: I was originally drafted by the Washington Spirit. I played soccer and lacrosse in college. My father sailed in the America's Cup.

Morgan Andrews: I played football in high school. I was called into the U23 National Team when I was 16. When I won my second straight Gatorade Player of the Year award, Becky Sauerbrunn came to my class to present it to me.

Sammy Jo Prudhomme: I was born in upstate New York. I started my college career at Oregon State. Morgan and I have been playing non-stop on the same teams (college, WPSL, and pro) for four years now.

Diana Matheson: My girlfriend, I, and two friends of ours run a business in Canada focused on leadership and empowerment. I am 5'2". My goal against France ended a 76-year medal drought for Canadian team sports in the Summer Olympics.

Stephanie Ochs: I played my college soccer in my hometown of San Diego. I was the third overall pick in the 2013 NWSL Supplemental Draft. The Hearts will be the fourth NWSL team I will play for.

Jen Hoy: Diana and I went to the same college and majored in the same subject. I am a native Pennsylvanian. I played on loan in Brisbane last winter.

Kristie Mewis: Steph and I have the same middle name. I have been on the rosters of two NWSL teams for whom I never played a game. The Hearts are my fifth NWSL team in the span of twelve months.

Steph McCaffrey: My sister was a gymnast at Northeastern. I was suspended for an NCAA tournament game. I am actually younger and shorter than Kristie.

Erin Simon: I made it onto the Sky Blue roster by way of try-outs. My college major was sport management. I am originally from New Jersey.

Savannah Jordan: I hail from the same town as Kelley O'Hara. The only Gator to score more goals than myself is Abby Wambach. I am dating Hayley Raso.

***

After a short bathroom and caffeine break, the group re-assembled for the second activity, a Futch scale exercise to best determine each player's place on the gender spectrum. After the exercise was completed and the quizzes scored, Ali paired up the players as follows for a follow-up activity: Ali/Kristie; Steph L./Steph M.; Sammy Jo/Stephany; Steph O./Jen; Diana/Savannah; Morgan/Liz; Erin/Bianca.

At the conclusion of the one-on-ones, Wendy put the three afternoon groups on the whiteboard and had them meet before departing to determine what their team bonding exercise would be. The groups then left the complex to head off their separate ways for the rest of the day.