Convergence

A/N: We're back! After taking a hiatus to write "Love Out Loud 2", I've returned to this story. We're 15 days from the season openers and business around the league is about to pick up again as teams try to solidify their 20-player rosters.

*******

Friday's practice for the Hearts consisted of narrowing down two first XIs for the team (one that would start tomorrow night against Duke and the other for Wednesday afternoon's match against the Washington Spirit). As the Wednesday match would be their last friendly before starting the season against Boston on April 7th, Erica wanted to use her preferred starting lineup for that match against their regional rival, with her trotting out a younger squad against the Blue Devils. Nickolette fit in nicely on the training ground as her experience with Erica was evident. After doing a shortened walk-through at the end of their session, Erica stopped at the side of the ground to answer a few questions for tomorrow's Raleigh News and Observer and Monday's edition of the Duke Chronicle. The reporter from the Chronicle tried to get the Hearts' head coach into a semantic battle over whether tomorrow's match would be as even on the field as it looked to be on paper (an NWSL expansion team facing the defending NCAA champions), but Erica didn't take the bait, answering his inquiry with a list of the players that would be on display for her side.

Once back at the hotel, Erica, Carm, and Kristin worked on how best to spread the playing time over their final two preseason games.

Erica: The Spirit is our best chance to see how the lineup I want to use in Boston fares, so I think we should start with that and then fill out tomorrow night's XI based on not overworking some of our veterans ahead of the Wednesday tilt.

Kristin: What does that mean for the three keepers?

Erica: I want Steph to get some work against Duke and I am thinking we should be cautious with Sammy Jo's shoulder and not risk that twinge becoming something worse. EJ will get the start and go probably 60-65 minutes before Steph enters to finish. Steph will start against the Spirit with Sammy Jo relieving her.

Carm: The rest of the lineup for Wednesday, then?

Erica: Liz, Cari, Emily, and Cami in back. Ali at the 6. Diana, Lindsey, and Kristie across the midfield. Steph Mac and Savannah up top.

Carm: So the rest of the roster starts tomorrow, or no?

Erica: Nickolette won't play, but I do think we should give the others a full 45 at least. Let's see how I can devise this.

Erica walked to the whiteboard in their conference room and began jotting out a possible lineup for tomorrow night.

Proctor

Ochs----Roccaro----Sonnett----Reid

Quinn

Hoy-------------Horan-------Andrews

Crouse--------Jordan

Erica: With this XI, all the reserves for Wednesday start, and the four who will start both games are all under 25, so they should be able to handle extended minutes tonight on top of what they'll play against Washington. It also gives EJ a chance to play behind our first-choice center back pairing, which she and Sammy Jo don't usually get to do.

Kristin: Any plans to test out the other center back options during tomorrow's match?

Erica: I have to, I'm sure. Probably try Morgan and Becca back there sometime toward the end of the first half, while EJ is still in goal. Give Ali a bit of run after Steph comes on.