A Call To Judgment (Part I)

Bailiff: All Rise!

Everyone in Courtroom 654 stood as the Honorable Frederica Massiah-Jackson took her seat on the bench.

Judge Massiah-Jackson: We have before the court the case of Philadelphia Hearts et al. vs. Gregory Orlandini. Will the parties' representatives introduce themselves to the court?

Brian O'Hara: Brian O'Hara representing the plaintiffs in toto.

David Jay Glassman: David Jay Glassman representing the defendant.

Judge Massiah-Jackson: The defendant has requested a bench trial, which is his right. Therefore, there will be no jury selection and we will begin with opening statements. The plaintiffs may begin.

Brian: Your honor, the defendant, over a span of approximately two weeks in November, harassed and threatened to publicly disgrace the plaintiffs both individually and collectively. His conduct as a member of the press was criminal and caused much emotional and financial harm to the plaintiffs. The defendant also refused to abide by the original gag order around the case, appearing on Fox Sports Radio to discuss his trial strategy and what the players had done to earn his scorn. Judge Marlene Lachman was forced to issue a cease-and-desist judgment against Mr. Orlandini following that appearance, which is still in effect until the conclusion of this trial. We will prove that his actions went beyond the standard give-and-take of public figures and the press and entered the realm of harassment as defined by Title 18 of the Pennsylvania Code, Chapter 27, Section 2709. Additionally, we will prove significant financial losses were incurred by Julie Johnston as the result of the defendant's recklessness. We are seeking compensation as follows: for the Philadelphia Hearts, no less than $250,000; For plaintiff Stephanie McCaffrey, compensatory damages of $12,500, pain and suffering in the amount of $200,000, and punitive damages of $300,000; for plaintiff Alexandra Krieger, emotional suffering in the amount of $250,000 and punitive damages of $600,000; for plaintiff Stephanie Labbe, punitive damages in the amount of $100,000; and plaintiff Julie Johnston, compensatory damages of $11,800,000.

Judge Massiah-Jackson: Does the defense wish to make an opening statement?

David Jay: Yes, your honor. This case is ultimately about what the general public should expect from high-profile individuals and what role the press should have in disclosing that. The defendant believes he stayed within the bounds of journalistic ethics in his pursuit of stories involving members of the Philadelphia Hearts, the Philadelphia sports community, and women's soccer in general. Aside from his run-in with Stephanie McCaffrey, for which he has already been convicted, he did not explicitly threaten any of the plaintiffs. As for his "outing" of Julie Johnston, the defendant believes that the hypocrisy exhibited by said plaintiff required a rebuttal, which is all the picture of her and Christen Press was supposed to be. Any inference to the plaintiff's sexual orientation was incidental and any losses incurred by the plaintiff were caused by her then-husband's assertions of infidelity and the marriage having occurred under false pretenses being found valid by the judge of their divorce trial. Moreover, we will prove that the plaintiffs are part of a conspiracy to deny the general male population an equitable attempt to make acquaintance with and potentially contract with them and their ilk.

Judge Massiah-Jackson: We will take a ten-minute recess before starting with the plaintiffs' direct.