NWSL 2018 Matchday Four

Week Four of the NWSL schedule opened with a renewal of the Cascadia rivalry between the Seattle Reign and Portland Thorns. In a match marred by injuries to Celeste Boureille and Carson Pickett, the two teams came away with a split of the spoils, playing to a scoreless draw, blemishing Seattle's 100% record and giving Chicago the chance to jump the Reign in the standings later in the day against Vancouver.

***

As members of the Philadelphia Hearts approached Urban Outfitters Stadium, they were greeted by a number of supporters in the tailgating areas of the parking lot. Steph Labbe drew the most attention as she hobbled her way toward the players' entrance wearing an orthopedic walking boot on her left foot. Lindsey, Emily, Cari, Kristie, and Steph McCaffrey arrived together and were encouraged by some of the Heart Beats to give the Spirit a good thrashing.

Once the team was gathered in the locker room and had changed into their uniforms and warm-ups, Erica and the rest of the technical staff called them to attention.

Erica: As you see, Steph Labbe is out for tonight's match. Hopefully, we will have her back in goal against the Courage next week. Give Sammy Jo the same amount of support and fight as you do Steph. The rest of the first XI stays the same as last week. Because of the pre-game ceremony recognizing the Charge and Independence, I don't want you to go full tilt in warm-ups because you'll need to stretch out again before the match starts. Wendy, I believe you have something you want to say to the team before we go out onto the field.

Wendy: Yes, Erica. I understand that several of you have a bone to pick with a member of the Spirit for insulting you and your loved ones. Be responsible about how you choose to do it. We have a job to do today, that is to get three points and head to Cary next weekend with a chance to go top of the East heading into the international break. Make sure the job is accomplished, then get your pound of flesh from their left back. Any questions?

Lindsey: So you're not going to try and stop us?

Wendy: I debated this during the week and came to the conclusion that: 1) We couldn't really stop you once you got on the field outside of pulling you from the match; and 2) It would be better for us as a club to stay true to what we profess about loving out loud and having one another's back, which sometimes involves defending one's self and others from being harmed. Again, first focus is on getting the win. Don't do something that will jeopardize that.

Erica: Let's head out and show our fans why we're the standard bearers for acceptance and tolerance, which at times means being intolerant of the intolerable.

The players arose and exited their locker room in twos and threes, with the coaching staff following behind them. Wendy went up to her suite and watched warm-ups from that locale while going over her script for the pre-game ceremony honoring the two former Philadelphia  professional women's soccer teams. On the field, Ali and Joanna spoke and the Hearts' captain re-iterated that a number of her teammates would be coming after Hinkle. Becca and Shelina chatted briefly as they hadn't seen one another last night. Sammy Jo and EJ were going through their goalkeeping drill progressions, with Kristin and Steph Ochs providing the shots. Erica spoke with Jim Gabarra and wished him good luck on the evening while also saying that she hoped Jasmine Peralta and her crew would be able to keep a lid on the extracurriculars and jawing between their teams.

NBC Sports Philadelphia's coverage of the match began at 6:30 with a pre-game show which included the welcome home ceremony for the Charge and the Independence. Marisa Pilla's broadcast partners, Sinead Farrelly and Lori Lindsey, were on the field being feted by Wendy and the crowd, hence she had to run the first half hour solo. Following the on-field honors and a commercial break, Marisa gave her intro for the telecast.