The Perennials

Steph (to Sam and Abby): Back-to-back finals, girls! Can you make it back-to-back titles as well?

Sam: We're hoping so. The Thorns will give us a tough game, but we THINK we can keep their front line in check if our back-end box stays tight and doesn't get drawn out by the cleverness of Tobs or Sincy.

Lindsey: Don't forget about us. We've got some tricks up our sleeves as well.

Abby: Not to mention in your pants.

Emily: ABBY!!!! You're not supposed to think such impure thoughts about us. Good lawd!

Kristie: Better you two getting their snark than me and Steph. We have all off-season to deal with them. You just have to get through Saturday.

Lindsey: Wrong, sister. I've got National Team camp starting on Sunday with the two of them yanking my crank.

Steph (to Kristie): Ouch! Got you there, dear.

Kristie: Score one for the Great Horan.

Emily: At least it looks like we will be staying put if we can work out the finances. No way Mark doesn't protect Lindsey or myself, but I might lose my subsidization for 2018.

Abby: Wish I were that confident. Can't count out Paul using the draft to thin out the national team contingent he has and doesn't really want.

Sam: I'm a bit more assured that we'll make the cut, but I'm also not looking to take chances. I have an idea to help our cause in either direction, since the worst-case scenario is him protecting one of us and not the other.

Abby: Is it what we talked about after the game against Chicago on Sunday?

Sam: Yes, it is.

Steph: Details, details! I'm surprised I didn't get it out of you, Sam, before you got into the protection of the locker room.

Sam: I hadn't conceived it until Abby and I were traveling home.

Lindsey: Spill it, Sammy!

Sam: Should we, Abby, or keep it a surprise?

Kristie: Samantha, you cough it up right this minute!

Sam: Dang, Kratch, you don't have to be so pushy. Win or lose, we're going to make some display of affection on the field to officially come out as a couple.

Emily: That's huge! You worried about backlash, especially playing for a team in the South?

Sam: If we get it, we get it. This puts the issue in Paul's hands and takes away the likelihood of him splitting us up like what happened to Kristie and Steph earlier this season. Got together again FINALLY and the rats upstairs in Chicago dealt for Moe with Kristie as the bait.

Kristie: That's why I really want to be left exposed, so that I can go to one of the expansion teams and start with a clean slate, where the expectations for me aren't pre-determined by who else is on the roster.

Steph: I don't have a good feel for where I am in the pecking order for protection. I'm doubting that I'm top nine in their minds, but maybe they protect me to eventually deal me for someone depending on who gets picked and by which team.

Kristie: At least none of us are in the position that Ali finds herself. Come out or possibly end up exposed. It's danged if you do and danged if you don't. Steph never pushed me to go public, mainly because she wasn't sure if she wanted to do it herself. Sam, I'm proud of what you and Abby have planned. Life is too short to live in fear of what others think about who or how you love.

Lindsey: We're sort of out at home, in that you don't usually see one of us without the other, but have never made that "we're together" statement. Emily, what would you think about following the Mewker lead and taking that step?

Emily: I love you, Lindsey, more than I can imagine loving another person. If you're good with doing it, so am I.

Steph: Want to make a little wager between the two of you, Lindsey and Sam, over tomorrow's result?

Lindsey got a VERY evil thought about what sort of stakes to put on the match. She and Steph exchanged a look that said, "I know you want to torture her, and I think I know how to do that."

Lindsey: Winner get to parade the loser around National Team camp in an outfit of her choosing.

Sam: You are SO gonna regret that choice, Linds.

The three couples left Mesa21 to return to their hotel, where they would continue catching up before the players had to meet curfew.