Reason To Celebrate

With one day left until their lone home game of the preseason, Erica and Carm worked on developing a starting eleven from the 16 players that the Hearts would have available for the match against Temple (Steph Labbe would be given the day off so that Sammy Jo and EJ get 45 minutes a piece in net). After a handful of drills and game-based scenarios, the following projected lineup was set upon: Prudhomme; Eddy-Roccaro-Reid-Levin; Quinn; Ochs-Andrews-Hoy; Crouse-Jordan. (Mewis, Krieger, McCaffrey, Matheson, Proctor). At the conclusion of training, Erica called the team in for a few announcements.

Erica: Tomorrow's game against Temple is going to focus on giving our depth players an opportunity to show their merit and get significant playing time. Steph Labbe will not see the field so we can give Sammy Jo and EJ more game time in preparation for our matches at Duke and the Spirit and for how we will start the season with three keepers on the roster. With that in mind, the first XI will be: Sammy Jo in goal; Liz, Cari, Morgan Reid, and Cami in the back; Steph Ochs, Becca, Morgan Andrews, and Jen across the midfield; Frannie and Savannah up front. I'll probably spell the field players at some point with our four "vets", but expect to play a large portion of the 90 minutes tomorrow. Next, Lindsey and Emily will be arriving today around 4:00. Wendy and I would like to have a bit of a group from the club on-hand at the airport to welcome them. So far, I know that Cari and Jen will be there, as will the coaching staff and Wendy. Anyone else?

Diana: I'll be there, as it would be a good time to hand over my team jester position to Emily. I'll presume that my adorable housemates will be there, since they're everywhere when it comes to producing good team vibes.

Ali: That should go without saying.

Savannah: I'll be there to welcome in my former and now new teammates.

Erica: Excellent. Now, I have a bit of good news to share with everyone. As you know, we asked Sarah to help us out this week because our numbers are a little down with all the player movement. Some of you might not know that she will be graduating from Florida in May and has chosen to turn pro rather than use her final year of eligibility in Gainesville. On Wednesday, Wendy contacted NWSL Commissioner Amanda Duffy to find out how we would be able to have her join the Hearts before next year's college draft. After gaining feedback from her college coach, the coaches at Duke and UCLA, and the general managers of Sky Blue and the Courage, the determination was that she did not rate high enough as a potential draftee to be required to enter next January's draft or to be allocated to a team by lottery. Therefore, any team would be able to submit a discovery claim and sign her once she graduated. Hence, we will be putting in said claim and, once an opening comes up on the roster, she will officially be signed by us.

Sarah was a slight bit stunned by the news, but was quickly snapped out of it with Savannah, the two Morgans, and Ali congratulating her in a bit of a group hug. Once she composed herself a little bit, she spoke to the team.

Sarah: I knew that a number of the players believed that Wendy and Erica were going to do whatever it took to get me in next year's draft, and I was hopeful that there'd be a way for me to play this summer while waiting for that, but I didn't expect that they would ask the commissioner for a way to bring me aboard now. I am grateful for this opportunity. Thank you so much, everyone.

Erica: To wrap things up, Heart-to-Heart on April 2nd will be a fundraiser for the Stephanie McCaffrey Urban Soccer Fund. We will have the twenty-two girls and young women who have been chosen to accompany our starters for the pre-match walk-out at our home opener on April 14th in attendance as part of a special announcement concerning a collaboration between us and Philly Parks and Recreation Soccer. On Monday, Carm, Steph, and I will determine the pairings for that night. Also on Monday, the Magnificent Seven will discuss roommate assignments for the Duke trip. If you're going to the airport later, be there by 3:30. If not, I'll see you tomorrow at noon at the stadium.