Chilling With The Canadians

Back in Vancouver, most of the Canadian contingent from Tuesday night's escapades in Las Vegas gathered at Karina and Jason's house. After dinner, the several of them sat around the dining room table swapping stories from their playing days and their current lives.

Rhian (pointing at Diana): This jokester always loved pulling my chain and embarrassing me.

Diana: Like when we tried to do a high-five and you couldn't?

Rhian: See?! I love her like a sister, maybe a little more, but she can't keep from making me look bad.

Diana was a little surprised to hear that from Rhian, but didn't respond at the moment.

Shelina: My first camp, I was scared beyond belief, facing a good number of you who I had idolized for years before then.

Rhian: I hope we didn't intimidate you too much. John wanted us to be hard on you, but also be accessible as guides and mentors.

Shelina: Sophie and Des were great with me, as was Carm, but Tank was, well, Tank.

The rest of those gathered laughed at Shelina's description of their fellow national teamer.

Erin: That camp was just before things started to shake down for the first NWSL allocations and draft. I was a little worried that I would be heading to Kansas City or Boston, but Carm and I went to Chicago, and little did I know that I would meet my future wife as a result of that.

Ella smiled at Erin and blew her a kiss.

Karina: Sinc and I got lucky to end up with Portland for Year 1 and to win a title in that first season as well.

Steph: We were SO CLOSE last year to taking home the hardware, but the Flash just hit their stride at the right time and it wasn't meant to be. Now, the Olympic medal we brought home a couple of months before that, I won't forget that for anything. I love all of you and hope that we have a chance to bring home bigger hardware from France and Tokyo in this cycle.

Diana: This is probably the last round-up for a good number of us. Sinc, me, yourself maybe, Des, Sophie. Shelina will eventually inherit the armband and I think either Carm or Rhian will replace John at the helm. As a group, we have opportunities in front of us to finally take down our friends to the south. First shot at that is next month with the home-and-home.

Rhian: I'm flattered that you think I should be considered for the head national team job.

Karina: John is definitely grooming you for something, and it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that you either become an assistant to him or take over the U20s by this time next year.

Rhian: Any of you players have an idea what Monday will bring as far as your address next year?

Diana: I'm thinking I'll be heading out of Seattle for somewhere else.

Shelina: I'm probably staying in DC. Erin, is there any truth to the rumor that you've already talked to the Thorns about getting Sinc?

Erin: You know I can't tell you that. You'll have to wait until Monday to see if she's protected or not.

Steph: Better than 50/50 I won't be protected. Kelsey and Didi are both younger than me by a few years and have a bit more upside. If I pass through the draft without being selected, Jim will probably try to find a taker for me at the January draft in Philadelphia.

Karina: Interesting that the USC Convention and NWSL Draft are in Philly the same year the city joins the league. Coincidence?

Diana: It's probably what got them to the head of the list as the second team added, since Vancouver was always going to be coming in next year.

Rhian: Who was in Vegas with you guys that's not up here now?

Steph: Kristie Mewis and her girlfriend Steph McCaffrey, Janine Beckie, and Ali Krieger. All but Janine are worried to some extent about Monday, for various reasons.

Erin: It was sweet to see Ali come all the way from Orlando to celebrate your birthday, Steph. Everyone seemed happy to see her so soon after the disaster in Portland.

Steph: I think that was what spurred her on to make the trip. From what I learned, things are a little rocky with her and Ashlyn, especially with Monday's decisions coming up.

Erin: That's not good. I know Carm and her spent a while talking after the party broke up on Tuesday night, so she probably has a better idea of what really is happening. Maybe if I call her, she'll fill me in.

Steph: Can't hurt. I don't know her as well as you and Carm, but we did get sort of close last season while she was separated from Ashlyn. She was a great help in keeping me sane heading into the Olympics and then dealing with the new-found expectations following it.

Shelina: I sure hope they get things worked out. This weekend is going to be mad with the final in town and then Ashlyn leaves on Sunday for national team camp.

Karina: Everything will work out how it's supposed to work out. Speculating does nobody any good. I'm glad to be retired and married to someone I chased for several years until he caught me.

Fatigue began to take over the majority of the women and they started to leave one and two at a time. Karina cleaned up the mess left behind and retired to her bedroom to wait for Jason to return from his evening activities.