2018 NWSL Draft

The crowd began entering the Grand Ballroom of the Pennsylvania Convention Center around 10am, hoping to get good seats for today's NWSL Draft. Wendy and Erica worked their way around the room, greeting fans and players' families, spending a couple of minutes conversing with Becca Quinn's parents, Bill and Linda, and sisters Lauren, Erin, and Jillian. EJ Proctor's family (parents Kelly and Kathy and brother Dawson) entered and, seeing the Hearts' people talking with their daughter's future in-laws, walked over to the group.

Kathy Proctor: BIG day for the girls if everything goes right.

Linda Quinn: Very much so. Wendy was telling us how their plan is set up to get both Becca and EJ as well as fill out the roster with more NWSL experience.

Kathy: And you know about the other thing, right?

Bill Quinn: I would not miss my youngest daughter proposing to yours for anything.

Kelly Proctor: One question. Since both will be brides, how do we split up the wedding expenses?

Bill: They'll be making good money once they sign with Philly. I'd say let THEM do it.

Kelly patted Bill on the back. "Smart man, you are!"

Erica: Our whole staff and our three "senior" players have been nothing but extremely excited about having both of your daughters here as part of the Hearts. We even plan to have them in our PSA on Saturday, as an expression of young love that found its way home.

Kathy: We saw Ali Krieger and Steph Labbe all over Orlando at the College Cup, so I'm guessing that's two of them. Who's the third?

Linda: Steph and Becca's fellow Canadian, Diana Matheson.

Dawson: DMath is playing for you?!

Wendy: Most definitely. She should be around shortly, if her and Rhian can get away from the Legacy coaching staff and the CSA folks.

Carm and Kristin came over and introduced themselves to the Proctors and Kristin herself to the Quinns. Carm told Wendy that Ali was in the Green Room with the players and that Savannah and Sarah were hanging with Becca and EJ. A couple of minutes later, Steph Labbe came in with Morgan and Sammy Jo.

Steph: Remember this setting a year ago in LA?

Morgan: I won't ever forget it. Mugging with the current commissioner, being my open-hearted goofy self, and silently praying that Sammy would get picked by Boston as well.

Sammy Jo: Which eventually happened, though it took FOREVER!

Steph: And now you're here, waiting for your understudies to experience that same set of emotions.

Morgan: Where are they?

Steph: Back in the Green Room with the rest of the players. Savannah and Sarah are with them.

Sammy Jo: Let's go hassle them a little. Hopefully get them to calm down a bit since I'm sure the nerves have to be quite high not knowing exactly what is going to happen.

Morgan and Sammy Jo left Steph to track down the two Duke graduates before business picked up in the exhibit hall.

***

After some calming words from Ali to the two potential draftees, Becca asked Morgan and Savannah to join her for a quick stop at the restroom before the draft started.

Becca: Savannah, did Sarah tell you what's up for later?

Savannah: About you asking EJ at the post-draft party?