The Nightmare

"He must die, Grace, you will not stop me".
My fathers words bit into me harshly, as they always did. I felt weak. Powerless. I wasn't as vulnerable to vervain as most vampires, yet the amount that was coursing through me was crippling. My eyelids felt heavy and I could feel my consciousness slipping away. The only thing keeping me upright was the vervain soaked ropes bound to my arms, hanging from the ceiling of the cellar.

I glanced upwards, the rope was tied to a beam of wood. I pulled pathetically against my bindings, ignoring the pain searing into my wrists. I could faintly hear the wood creaking above me. If only I was stronger...

"You can't do this..." I struggled to speak, my throat was as dry as sand paper, each syllable I managed burning deeply.
"Always trying to protect him" Mikael noted bitterly, "He wants you dead, Grace" he spat.
"He's my brother" I responded immediately, my hair falling in my face as my head lulled forward. "I can't give up on him" I murmured inwardly, whether I was trying to convince me or my father, I did not know.
"He is an abomination..." Mikael started, looking to his youngest daughter. "He does not deserve the love that you bear him" he said softly, with a hint of pity in his eyes, before turning away - his gaze hardening once more.

I pulled against the rope again, wincing as I heard the wooden beam creak once more. Although I was slowly regaining strength, I was apparently still weaker than a flimsy piece of wood. I gritted my teeth in anger, I couldn't let this happen. I looked to my father almost in defeat. Yet, he stood there facing away from me. A hand reached into the pocket inside his jacket. It reappeared holding the one weapon I never wished to see. The white oak stake. He held it so I could see it, twisting it in the air.
"You know what this is" he stated bluntly, "tonight, I shall put an end to Niklaus once and for all".

Upon hearing those words, I stopped. The reality sinking in. It was one of those moments when everything slows to a halt.

"No..."

I could barely hear myself over the silence that was screaming in my ears. Mikael began to walk away, placing the stake back inside his jacket. With all of my strength I pulled against the rope once more. It groaned against the pressure, before I pulled again - screaming out in pain - and it all came crashing down, narrowly avoiding me as I fell forward.

I didn't hesitate. I didn't wait as dust and debris filled the air. I knew it was now or never. I didn't even see my fathers reaction as he turned to face the colossal noise that came from behind him.

I ran.

It wasn't until much later that night that I arrived at the bar where I knew my brother would be. In the time that Mikael had held me captive, I had listened. I had heard the whispers of Klaus and his whereabouts. He had to be here. I had to warn him. Last time he didn't believe me... but I couldn't let him die.

I found a girl waiting outside the bar, cigarette in one hand. Human and clearly intoxicated. After drinking from her to regain my strength and compelling her to give me her dress - aswell as to forget the incident - I headed into the bar, adjusting my new silvery feather pin into my hair. I was aware that keeping my guard up was important. This was not just because of Klaus and Mikael; I knew a witch, Gloria, owned this place. Once I was inside I felt terribly out of place, I ignored the crowds of drunken dancers, the singing and the chatter. I scanned the room, panicking, I couldn't see him. Mikael would be here any moment. I can't have got the wrong place...

And then, as soon as I had almost resigned myself to leaving... there he was. He was sat at a table alone, looking at the bustling room infront of him. He looked different; his blonde curly hair was short and he was dressed in a suit. I could barely admit it, but he almost looked peaceful - a slight smile was creeping onto his face. I hadn't seen Niklaus genuinely smile in years... I knew what he was like, however. I knew that if he saw me first, he would become defensive. I weaved through the crowd towards the stairs, leading up to his table. He didn't notice me until I sat down next to him.