Comfort

The following morning, Stefan, Elena, Elijah, Damon and I were sat in the parlour, discussing our plan. It wasn't until we heard Jenna shouting from the hallway, that everything seemed to change.
"Get out!"
"Jenna? Jenna!" A familiar voice sounded out. It was Alaric. "Jenna, put the crossbow down, okay? It's me!".

We reached the hallway, Alaric was standing with his arms raised as Jenna aimed at him.
"Stay away from me" Jenna said firmly.
"What's going on?" Elena said, glancing between the two of them.
"It's me, Elena, I swear, okay?" He paused, desperately trying to convince us. "He let me go, Klaus let me go".
"Prove it" Damon cut in.
"Okay, uh..." he started, turning back to Jenna. "First night you and I spent together, Jeremy walked in right when I was about to-" he continued, before Jenna interrupted.
"Okay! It's him" she said quickly. I smirked and shook my head, Damon and Stefans brows raising slightly in surprise.
"Why did he let you go?" Asked Stefan.
"He wanted me to deliver a message" he paused, looking to Elena. "The sacrifice happens tonight".

As the others gathered back in the parlour to fill Alaric in, I managed to quietly go upstairs unnoticed. I needed to be away from everyone. I was terrified, in all honesty. If my brother broke the curse, what would happen? Will we be able to kill Klaus? What would he do to Elijah and I if we failed? What of Elena and Bonnie? I was standing at the window, staring into the trees when I felt a figure come up behind me.

"What do you want?" I asked.
"You disappeared" Damon noted as I turned to face him, avoiding his eyes as I did so. "How are you holding up?"he questioned.
"Fine" I responded flatly, causing him to smirk slightly.
"You're a terrible liar, Grace" He cupped my face gently, forcing me to look at him. "What's the matter?", his brows furrowed in concern as he looked down at me.
"I'm scared, Damon" I murmured, barely above a whisper.
"I know..." he said softly, stroking my cheek with his thumb. "We all are".
"I don't know what's going to happen after tonight... What if we can't kill him, what if-" he put his finger to my lip, silencing me.
"We will" he whispered. "Trust me".

He let go of my face then, the two of us nodding to eachother, before he turned towards the door to leave. Unexpectedly however, just as he reached it, he faced me once more.
"Do you know what..." he mused, "you're right... we don't know what's gonna happen after tonight" he noted, determination in his eyes as he paced quickly towards me. I squinted at him curiously as we stood there, the silence lasting less than a second, before he leaned forward, taking me by surprise.

His lips met mine suddenly, and briefly, his hands cupping my face once more as my eyes fluttered shut. Before he pulled back again, barely giving me time to register or react as I stood there still.
"Had to do it... atleast once". He whispered, pressing his forehead to mine as a rush of emotions hit me. I leaned forward again, pressing my lips to his once more. He stumbled back in surprise as the kiss deepened, my hands gripping the collar of his jacket. Both of us were desperate, hungry, the fear driving us to embrace the time we had before the unknown. After a few moments, we pulled apart, breathless and smiling at eachother.

"You've got no idea how long I've wanted to do that" Damon said softly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I laughed slightly, grinning as my cheeks reddened, before a voice interrupted.
"Damon, where did you-" Elena started, appearing at the door. "Oh". The two of us jumped slightly, yet stayed in eachothers arms as we glanced from one another to the doppelgänger at the door.
"What's going on, did-" Stefan came in, before stopping abruptly infront of us, eyes widening, causing Damon to groan slightly. I laughed again, cheeks burning even more as we awkwardly parted. "Are you two..." Stefan pointed between us, squinting in confusion.
"I... don't know" I sighed, looking to Damon, who was also fumbling for an answer.
"Maybe?" He said uncertainly, eyes shifting to me. Elenas eyebrows raised in surprise as she grinned at me.
"Yeah... maybe" I repeated, shaking my head and sighing at Elenas excited reaction. "We've got a big day ahead of us, let's go prepare, shall we?" I said quickly, speeding out of the room.

I had barely made it back downstairs before my phone began buzzing with incoming texts from Caroline and Bonnie.

"You and Damon?!"

"I knew it!!! Elena just texted me!"

I smiled as I read the texts from them, Elena did work quickly. I shook my head and sighed again as I typed a response, before I heard a cough interrupt my thoughts.
"You took your time with that, didn't you, Sister?" Elijah grinned at me as he walked over.
"Oh hush, Elijah" I said, still smiling, nudging him with my elbow.
"I may have promised Elena not to harm both the Salvatores... but if he hurts you-"
"He won't" I cut him off adamantly, "since when were you the protective older brother anyways?"
"Since always, Grace" he replied, a sudden sincerity in his tone, beyond his usual one.
"Is everything in place for tonight?" I asked after a few moments.
"I hope so" Elijah mused, a far off look on his face. "After tonight, we will be free of Niklaus for good...".
"It will be strange... but it's for the best, after everything he's done to our  family..." I trailed off, not sure if I was attempting to convince Elijah or myself. I sighed again, looking to the ground in dismay. " I miss all of them, Elijah... I just don't understand how he could do such a thing".
"Neither can I... which is why he must die". He said determinedly.

The ritual was going to happen tonight. And now I had more reason than ever to stop my brother.