Masquerade - Part 2

Upstairs, the three vampires were trapped. Unable to do anything except sit and wait. "You know Stefan, I'm curious" Katherine started, leaning back against the red sofa, "How much does Damon here actually know about his darling Grace?" she drawled out.
"Katherine, don't-" This wasn't how Damon needed to find out about this, Stefan knew that much at least.
"Woah woah woah, don't what?" Damon interjected with mild interest - if he couldn't kill her yet he may aswell hear what nonsense she was going to spout out.
"Damon, ignore her she's trying to antagonise you, that's all this is" Stefan looked at his brother pleadingly to no avail. This unfortunately made Damon all the more interested, if Stefan was concerned about this... who knew what this could mean. Katherine smirked knowingly, she had the upper hand here and she was revelling in it.
"You were right Damon, she does look gorgeous tonight... but then again you always thought that". She blinked in almost disbelief and shrugged as she witnessed the confusion on the older Salvatore brothers face. He really was clueless.

"Wow... well, I'm surprised that you genuinely don't remember, here I was thinking you'd just forgotten... but compulsion can be funny like that sometimes" she paused, smiling at the Salvatore brothers who were watching her carefully, as she sat there shaking her head. "Always a loophole..." she muttered to herself,  before glancing back up again. "I suppose the real surprise is that she hasn't told you, considering how chummy you're becoming lately and how emotional she is, a bit like her sister in that department" she continued, examining her nails absentmindedly before rolling her eyes at the thought of Rebekah. Even Stefan glanced up at the mention of a sister, he'd never heard of Grace having any siblings...

"What is it? Spit it out" Damon asked, brows furrowing as he glanced between the other two vampires, his brother only sighing as he looked to the ground in defeat. Stefan wanted to ask about the sister, but the more he questioned Katherine, the more control she would have.
"Let's just say I wasn't the only vampire around in 1864, but then again, she did compel you to forget" she glanced at Damon, attempting to gauge his reaction. "Sweet really, wanting to protect you, it's a shame I came along and... well, you know that part" she finished, winking at him as she did. The older Salvatore brother was curious, but even he knew that a reaction out of them is what she wanted. He purses his lips in attempt to conceal his confusion, before he sipped his bourbon, his brother watching his reaction with equal interest, his brows furrowing in concern.

Meanwhile, back downstairs I was oblivious however, I bumped into Caroline - a smug smile was plastered on her face.
"You did it?" I grinned at her, the plan was going surprisingly well.
"Yep, she's up there now, hopefully that'll be the end of it" she answered, before looking down and noticing my bare feet. "Already? Really?" The blonde laughed.
"I'm not a heels girl okay" I shushed, as I held up the pair of shoes in my hand - they really did have to go before I embarrassed myself by falling over. It was then that I froze in place, hearing what sounded like a fight. I locked eyes with Caroline, the smile dropping from her face instantaneously as she heard it too.
"C'mon" I grabbed Caroline's arm and headed in the direction of the noise.

Caroline and I burst into the office, seeing Tyler and - who I assumed - was Matt fighting as a girl stood in the corner frozen in fear.
"What's going on?!" Caroline shouted.
The two of us quickly got in the middle of them, Caroline grabbing Matt and me grabbing Tyler. I pushed against his shoulders, locking as he stared at me in confusion, a girl half his size was managing to hold him back somehow.
"Stop it!" I yelled at him, I could feel my eyes flaring up in anger, I knew what they must look like; Tylers mouth dropped open in shock. He stopped struggling after a few seconds, yet Matt was still pushing against Caroline, a look of fierce determination in his eyes.
"Stop!" She begged him again.
"I can't, Let me go! I have to finish!" Matt shouted. Causing me to turn to face him curiously, my hands still on Tyler's shoulders.
"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Tyler shouted back.
"Let me go!" He yelled again.
"Caroline, he's compelled he's not gonna stop" I said to the blonde, before she elbowed him in the face, knocking him out.

"Matt?"

Caroline whispered, fear evident in her voice. She spoke about him enough for me to know how much she cared for him.
"Is he okay?" I asked, both of us rushing towards him to make sure he was.
"How did you-" I heard Tyler start, before a voice interrupted.
"Matt failed... If Matt fails, I can't" the girl from the corner muttered, she was standing behind Tyler now. I noticed a glint of light reflecting off of the knife in her hand.
"Tyler! look out!" I yelled desperately as I realised what was happening. He whipped round to face the girl, just as she brought the knife down, the blade going into his shoulder. Tyler grunted in pain and instinctively pushed her away. She fell. Her head knocking harshly against the table as she fell to the floor.

"No, no, no" Tyler started, pulling the blade out and ignoring the pain in his shoulder as his heart began to race. "Come on, wake up" he muttered, "Sarah! Sarah open your eyes, wake up!" I gasped in realisation at what this meant, Caroline stood up and faced us, she knew what this meant too. "This can't happen... this can't happen" he repeated to himself through shuddering, panicked breaths "this can't be happening... Sarah! Sarah get up! Sarah open your eyes!" He shouted as he knelt over her.

"Tyler, calm down!" I begged, this was bad. Very bad. He didn't seem to hear me as he stood up and backed away, head shaking, before running his hand through his hair. As I stepped towards him, Caroline knelt next to Sarah's body to check her pulse.
"Tyler?" I asked with urgency in an attempt to get his attention. He suddenly groaned out in pain, teeth gritting in an attempt not to scream as he gripped his head and fell to the floor. This was bad. I'd seen this before.

"Tyler!" I was worried now, this was bad. Masons words were ringing around in my head making me feel all the more guilty - "don't let this happen to him". I cupped my mouth with my hands as I crouched in front of him, Caroline turning to face us also.
"Grace? Tyler? what's happening?" The blonde asked quietly as she stood up shakily.
"Get away!" Tyler yelled at the both of us, the pain evident in his voice as he groaned again.
"What's happening?!" Caroline yelled desperately again, before Tyler looked up at us, his eyes flared up as he shuddered, causing us both to gasp in shock.

"Caroline get Carol Lockwood, now!" I shouted as the blonde stood there in shock before running out of the room. I turned back to face Tyler, gripping his arms.
"Look at me, breathe, everything will be fine" I started. He blinked harshly, his eyes slowly returning back to normal, as he looked at me, his chest still heaving from the pain and shock.
"You don't... you don't get it, I... I..." he tried to say before I shushed him.
"Believe me I do, I know someone who went through this, just breathe, the pain will go" I said softly. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, his hands no longer shaking. "I'm so sorry Tyler..." I muttered, tears in my eyes. He squinted at me in confusion, yet before he could ask anything, Caroline returned with Carol Lockwood. This was only the beginning.

It was drawing close to the end of the night. I had to stay late to speak to Carol Lockwood and Caroline's mother - Sheriff Forbes - before I could leave. I managed to avoid speaking to Tyler again , thankfully. I knew he had questions though, and I knew I couldn't avoid him forever. However, despite everything that happened, I felt like I could finally relax a bit as I read the text message from Damon. Katerina was in the tomb. Where she was meant to be all along. We got her. Finally.

I was walking back towards the car park, my heels still in my hands as I reached my car. I was struggling to get my keys out of my clutch when it happened. A sudden, sharp pain in my chest. Causing me to gasp out. I looked down to see a bloody stake protruding from my body. Shit. My breath shuddered as my vision began to blur and I dropped everything in my hands. I knew it had gone right through my heart. This was bad. Black spots were dancing across my eyes as I whimpered in pain, before my legs gave out and darkness took over.

(A/N : anddddddd there we go, masquerade ball done! I really enjoyed writing this and im excited about the next part! Thankyou so much for reading guys💖💖💖)