Back Again

Rebekah was awake. Ninety years she had been daggered. Yet, of course she forgave Niklaus. She always did. Unfortunately however, what Gloria needed from her, was her necklace. One that I knew all too well and should have recognised sooner.

It was my mother's necklace. The one that Stefan gave to Elena. The one that the doppelgänger always wore.

Now however, Klaus and Rebekah were at the warehouse, waiting for Gloria to contact them. Apparently she needed time and space. Stefan left after feeding on a girl, 'to write a name on a wall' according to Klaus. Me however, I just had to get out. I had been sat with my two siblings for just under an hour before I got too uncomfortable to stay. I had to find Stefan, so I took off into the night.

______________________

"Where the hell have you been?" I asked, grinning slightly.
"Nowhere, I just-" his tone was sharp and frustrated as we stood outside of Gloria's.
"Hey" I said, the younger Salvatore walking straight past me, before he spun around again. "Talk to me, Stefan, what's wrong?".
"I can't talk to you, that's the problem" he sighed, crossing his arms as he paced back and forth. I squinted at him curiously, this was the first we'd properly spoken in weeks.
"Yes, you can" I said, sincerity in my voice as I stepped towards him.

"You don't get it, Grace" he turned to face me, "You are here because of me, you're in the one position that I know you've been running from for five hundred years and you just... gave up" his voice softened, jaw tensing as his eyes brimmed with tears.
"I had to" I mumbled, grabbing his arm gently. "Do you remember the night that I found you on the train tracks?". He nodded, his jaw tensing as pain washed over his face. Of course he remembered. Of all the hurtful things Stefan has ever said to someone, he knew that what he said that night was one of the worst. "I don't want to see you like that again, Stefan" my voice cracked slightly as I looked to the ground. "And besides, you would have done the same for me".
"That's not the point" he paused, his voice just as pained as my own. "you should be at home right now, with my brother... with Damon". I shook my head, receiving a nod in response. "Instead, I see you becoming more and more miserable and afraid everyday... and I can't do anything about it" he looked to the ground. "Klaus has to believe I'm on his side if I'm gonna get the upper hand... you know how much I care about you and it hurts to see you so-". I hugged him then, tears flowing freely.

In all my years of running, this was the most terrified I had ever been.

"I knew you were up to something" I noted, a hint of amusement in my voice as I pulled back, ignoring the churning storm of fear in the pit of my stomach.
"Yeah, well, Katherine noticed that pretty quickly too" he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.
"Wait, she's... here here? Again?" I stepped back, a bewildered expression on my face. I knew Stefan saw her earlier, but she was taking a big risk showing her face again.

"About time you noticed" a familiar voice quipped from behind me. I spun around to face her, shaking my head with a laugh.
"And that's my cue to leave" Stefan noted, "I'm gonna head back to the warehouse, don't want Klaus to get too suspicious if we come back together" he nodded to me, leaving me alone with the doppelgänger. It was good knowing that he trusted me still. But more importantly, he knew that Katherine wasn't a threat to an original. I could take her on easily.

"Katerina" I sighed, turning to face her. "I had a feeling you might've been lurking around here somewhere".
"Happy to see me?" she grinned, a hand on her hip as she leaned forward.
"Surprisingly yes" I laughed, walking towards her, "all things considered".
"Quite the sticky situation you've gotten in, huh?" Katherine questioned, amusement shining in her eyes. "The whole 'doppelgänger still being alive' thing has really put a damper on your brother's plans" she noted, "not to mention the fact that the necklace he's searching for is the one that Stefan gave to Elena".
"Yes Katerina, it's hilarious" I responded sarcastically, an uncomfortable feeling overcoming me. "Why are you here?".