Ghosts

Ghosts. That's what was happening. They were everywhere. This town really did have the worst of luck.

Damon and I eventually worked out that it must've been Mason Lockwood who attacked us. Our suspicions were confirmed when he showed up at The Grill later that day, however. He asked for an apology from Damon, which he reluctantly gave, then asked to meet him alone somewhere. I was nervous to say the least. Yet, deep down I knew he wasn't a bad person. He wouldn't hurt him.

Just as I got up to leave he turned to me, grabbing my arm. I spun back around to face him, Damon's arm tightening around my waist.
"Thankyou" he said, smiling softly.
"For what?" I mumbled, feeling nothing but guilt. I stood there and watched him die. I did nothing. I was to blame just as much as Damon. Why would he thank me?
"For helping Tyler". I nodded back at him understandingly.

I was walking towards the door. Confusion running through me. How could there be ghosts? I had seen an abundance of magic and mystery over the centuries, yet even this seemed far fetched. I turned back to look at Damon, him and Mason still talking, when I bumped into a figure. I apologised instinctively, before I noticed who it was, my eyes widening in shock.

"Lexi?" I managed, gasping slightly.
"There she is" she grinned, hugging me with one arm. I froze in place, barely believing what was happening, before I hugged her back, laughing as I did so.
"What the hell is going on?" I whispered, before pulling back.
"No idea" she shrugged, "but I have got work to do... have you seen Elena?".
"Thought I saw her head into the bathroom, why?" I replied, my face scrunching up in confusion.
"Stefan's off the rails, isn't he?" she said, I could see the pain and frustration in her eyes, yet I decided not to comment. "Time to do what I do best" she smirked, before spinning around confidently and making her way towards the bathroom. I shook my head with a smile as I watched her walk away. Now, I could only hope that Lexi would be able to help Stefan. She always knew what to do. If anyone could do it, it would be her.

________________________

Night was drawing nearer and nearer, and ghosts were still running rampant on the town. Tomb vampires from 1864 had returned. It was The Night of Illuminations and a founder was dead at their revenge-stricken hands.

Caroline had phoned me reluctantly on Bonnies behalf, and told me what was going on. I couldn't help but feel bad for the witch, considering what was happening with Jeremy. There were more important things to focus on, however. Elena and I were headed to the old Forbes jail cell, where Stefan was being held. Lexi didn't have long here if Bonnie was working on a spell. We had to get back. For Stefan's sake.

Just as Elena turned from Jeremy, to face me, she froze, seeing a figure behind me. Her eyes remained wide and fixated on whoever it was, causing me to frown as her hands blindly grasped at me to get me to turn.
"Grace" she whispered, nodding towards the other side of the street, "look". I slowly turned, my gaze following Elena's gesture, a familiar smile greeting me as I remained frozen to the spot for the second time that day.

"Hello stranger" Rose said softly, one hand on her hip as she waved the other.
"Rose?" I whimpered, my eyes stinging as I took a step towards her.

I stopped suddenly, remembering what I was doing. I turned to face Elena in a panic, unsure of what to do. She nodded, a soft understanding smile spreading on her face.
"I'll tell Lexi that you said goodbye". I mirrored her nod, turning back to face Rose as Elena walked away hurriedly.

Rose stepped forward this time, attempting to conceal her grin as she stopped infront of me.
"I missed you" she said sadly, before her grin spread once more. I jumped forward, hugging her tightly, ignoring the cold air on my wet cheeks. When we pulled apart, she was still smiling, that grin that I loved - the one that I rarely saw and missed ever so much - was spread proudly on her face. She wasn't afraid anymore.
"I missed you too" I whispered tearfully. "Huh" she sighed, "none of that". She wiped away my tears with her thumbs, causing me to shake with laughter.

I sighed eventually, my fingers still shaking from the shock as she took my hand in hers.
"You and Damon, huh?" She said, grinning. I shook my head and laughed again. "No use denying it, Grace, I've seen it all from over here".
"Spying on me now, are we?" I teased, squinting at her with amusement.
"Hey!" She laughed, pushing my shoulder gently. "There's not an awful lot to do, and besides..." she trailed off, her tone becoming serious, "it's good to see you happy, Grace".
"Y'know, I actually am" I sighed, looking up at the night sky.
"Even with your psychopath siblings running about?" She leaned forward  teasingly.
"If it's not one problem, it's another" I sighed, "I just wish I'd seen that sooner... spent less time in fear". I looked back down to the ground, biting my lip.

"Grace..." Rose said, shaking me gently before pulling me into another hug.
"You and Trevor are my family" she whispered. "And there's no one else I would rather have spent five centuries on the run with". I heard Rose inhale sharply then, and tense up suddenly. "Goodbye, Grace" she murmured into my jacket. And with that, my fingers that clutched her own were suddenly intwined with nothing but air.

I opened my eyes, and I was alone. She was gone. The ghosts were gone.