The Rescue

Later on that day, Alaric, Damon and I were at The Grill. There was a somber atmosphere hanging over us all as we drank. I decided that I had wallowed enough however, I needed to get back home. I got up to leave, before Damon grabbed onto my wrist, turning to me.
"Be safe" he said softly.
"I will" I whispered back, smiling. Before stepping back to leave. Alaric simply watched on in confusion, before shaking his head and ordering another round.

I had just left The Grill, fumbling around in my bag for my car keys as the door swung shut behind me, when I bumped into a figure.
"Sorry!" I said immediately, looking up to face him. I gasped in shock and froze upon seeing the familiar face infront of me.

"Niklaus?" I questioned, my eyes widening in shock.
"Hello, sister" he grinned, staring down at me. I looked around in a panic, unable to do anything. There were people walking about, rushing past us. Neither of us could do anything. Not in public. "I'm actually here for your boyfriend... is he inside?" He asked, smile still spreading on his face.
"Like hell you are" I spat.
"I'll take that as a yes then..." he started, attempting to walk past me, before I stepped infront of him, arms crossing over my chest defensively.
"You're not a hybrid yet, Nik" I noted, glaring at him, his smile dropping from his face.
"Relax, Grace, I'm just here to give a friendly warning... We wouldn't want anyone to do anything stupid now, would we?" He said, bitterness running through his voice.

He smiled slightly at my silence, before attempting to move past me again.
"Nik?" I said softly as he reached the door, not quite realising I had said it at all. He turned back to face me curiously. "You don't have to do this, y'know?" I whispered, my eyes stinging as I fiddled with the corner of my jacket. He looked to me then. Something different in his eyes as we stared eachother down.
"Yes I do, Grace" he murmured, before turning back to the door, and walking into The Grill.

As soon as he was gone, I let out a shaky breath, one that I didn't even realise I was holding. I felt a sudden rush of emotion overcome me, tears streaming down my face as I got in my car. I looked to the time on the dashboard, taking a deep breath. We didn't have long.

By the time I reached the house at the site of the witches massacre, the sun was starting to set. The sky was filled with intangible twists of deep orange and flecks of rosy pink, the clouds splitting the sun into a thousand rays of of light as they moved through the sky. I stood at the door of the house, taking a deep breath and hoping that the witches were listening.
"Servants of nature" I whispered. "You know what I am, you can see my intentions... Bonnie is my friend" I paused, the wind blowing the fallen leaves around me in patterned swirls. "I'm here to help" I said determinedly. The door creaked open and I stepped inside, smiling slightly as I did so. "Thankyou" I whispered again.

I reached the basement, Bonnie and Jeremy were sat looking through various grimoires and Gilbert journals.
"Bonnie?" I asked, her head snapping up as she grinned at me and stood up. "Grace? Oh my god" she said, stepping forward and hugging me. We hadn't seen eachother since The Decade Dance.

"We... found something in the Gilbert Journals" Bonnie started, pulling away before her eyes locked onto a figure behind me. I spun around to face him, John Gilbert.
"You..." I said confusedly.
"Good to see you too, Grace" he nodded, stepping forward. "Johnathan Gilbert journaled about the story of a mother who called on Emily Bennetts' services... the womans baby was sick, dying" he stopped, looking between us. "Emily cast a spell that would bind the womans life force with her child" he paused, glancing to the ground. "The child died... but the mother's life force flowed through her, restoring her to life" he finished, nodding slightly.

"I know that spell" I mused, not knowing if I should reveal its final part. Magic ran in my blood. I knew. Kol and I were the only two out of our siblings to tap into our powers. I remember practicing with him in secret, amazed by the rush it gave us. That was until we became vampires. Before we lost it all.