In The Dark

Damon

"Is she picking up?" Damon asked as he walked in, two glasses of blood in hand, before looking to his brother. Stefan had the phone, worry washed over his face as he paced back and forth across the parlour.

When he heard her outgoing message for the eighth time, he sighed in frustration, placing his phone back down.
"No" he shook his head. "Not picking up. She knows I'm with you, so it's the last thing she'd do."
"Yeah, well... I wouldn't pick up either" Damon replied heavily, placing one of the glasses down on the table. "But none of this matters if she's dead tomorrow."

"Hey-" Stefan attempted, stepping towards his brother. He placed a hand on his shoulder, the pair of them tensing up, before Damon pushed it away.
"We'll save her, Damon. We will."

Stefan stepped back, eyes landing on the glass of blood on the table. Damon had left it for him. He turned, and walked out of the parlour, not noticing his brother watching his every move.

Grace

The morning after the ball, I woke up later than usual. I rarely needed sleep, but being so emotionally drained often made it necessary. Having the hearing of an original vampire hardly helped with that too. It was well after 11 that I finally rolled out of bed, bored of hearing the sound of my siblings squabbling echoing throughout the house.

I dressed quickly, jeans and a tshirt with my jacket shoved over the top. I ignored the buzzing of my phone, knowing that it would only be Damon or Stefan.

My dark hair was being as stubborn as ever, so a bun would have to do. But I didn't care. I was hungry. I knew the one thing I could rely on in this house full of vampires was blood bags, somewhere surely.

Rebekah had been out all night by what I could hear. As I entered the main room, the focus shifted to me, however.
"And there's the other one!" Kol laughed, as Klaus watched amusedly from the sidelines. "The contrast really is hysterical. Grace is surprisingly dressed before noon and Rebekah... is in yesterday's clothes."

I scowled at him, before attempting to cross the room, only to have my path blocked by my brother.
"Get out of my way, Kol" I said dryly, pushing him to no avail. I noticed Rebekah sit down heavily on the sofa next to Klaus, grateful the attention was now off of her.
"Ooh!" Kol raised his hands dramatically. "Someone's still touchy after last night" He pouted falsely, pinching my cheeks as he did so. "A morning of sulking didn't help me at all, did it Gracie?".
"Oh, leave her be" Rebekah cut in, evidently feeling quite sympathetic as I smacked Kol's hands away.

It had always been like this, her and I sticking together against our irritating brothers.

"You attacked her boyfriend" Rebekah continued. "I think that deserves some slack."
"You're hardly one to talk, 'Bekah" Kol snorted, becoming defensive as he was now outnumbered. "I can only hope that you did better than that commoner... Matt, was it?".
"If you don't shut your mouth, the next thing to come out of it will be your teeth" Rebekah quipped in response, glaring at Kol angrily.
"Great idea" I sighed, crossing my arms. "I'll pin him down, you do the punching."

It was then that I noticed Klaus, still sat on the sofa observing the quarrel unfolding before him. His brows raised in surprise at our words, until a grin spread across his face, his eyes finally landing on me.
"Don't start, Nik" I said warningly, which only made him smile further.
"I didn't say anything!" The hybrid raised his hands in defence, making me scoff slightly, before Kol sighed dramatically in defeat.

Kol turned to Klaus, evidently in want of something else to do.
"I'm bored" he stated plainly. "Our sister is a strumpet, the other a slob... but at least they're having fun. I need entertainment."
Klaus shook his head at that. "What are you waiting for?" he said dryly. "Go on, have at it."
"It's not fun to go alone" Kol pouted. "Join me, Nik. It's the least you can do after sticking a dagger in my heart."
"Okay" Klaus sighed. "Why not? I didn't have nearly enough to drink last night, what with you trying to murder both of our sisters dates."
"I'll come" I piped in.
"You're not invited" Kol replied, shoving me gently.
"I don't care" I sneered, shoving him back.