Tea and Torture

It was the following weekend that I found myself at a Tea Party hosted by The Historical Society for a visiting writer. Elena and Stefan were spending the weekend at her parents lakehouse, so I decided to investigate myself. I knew that the mystery writer had to be Elijah.

I strolled in to see Carol Lockwood talking to the man himself. She saw me as I approached, smiling as she did so.
"Grace, hi! How have you been?" She asked.
"I've been well, thankyou Mrs Lockwood..." I nodded, before turning to the figure behind her. "I see Elijah here is already charming his way through the town" I noted. A look of confusion spread across Mrs Lockwoods' face as she glanced between us.
"Pardon me, Carol, I should have said previously..." Elijah nodded, upholding his polite demeanour. "Grace is my younger sister" he smiled. I was a bit taken aback by his directness. She let out a soft "ahh" in realisation.
"I see the resemblance now, it's the eyes I think" she smiled kindly, before noticing someone behind us.

"Damon!" Elijah and I both turned as he approached, kissing Mrs Lockwood on the cheek in greeting.
"Elijah, I want you to meet Damon Salvatore" she paused as the two men stared eachother down, causing me to tense up uncomfortably. "His family is one of Mystic Falls founding families".
"Mm-hm... such a pleasure to meet you" Damon responded, barely concealing his sarcasm.
"No, pleasures mine" said Elijah with equal bitterness, shaking his hand as he did so.
"My sister here has told me a great deal about you" he smiled, glancing to me as my eyes widened in embarrassment.

after politely excusing myself I bumped into an unfamiliar man, who was just turning away from Alaric. I smiled at him, yet the anger on his face was directed at the man now stood in front of me.
"Ah... Grace... I don't believe we've met". I looked up to him, squinting in confusion. "John Gilbert, a pleasure" he smiled smugly. I had heard about him - and not good things. He was also Elena's biological father.
"How do you know who I am?" I asked curiously, shaking the hand that he had held out.
"You're more famous than you realise, and not just because you're an original" he said. I could tell he was choosing his words carefully and with caution, so I merely nodded apprehensively. "I'm not here to challenge you... I'm not that moronic" he paused, "But just because my daughter has chosen to trust you doesn't mean anyone else here has, especially me". I scoffed at that. Elena was my friend. I would never let her down.
"I don't need your trust, Mr Gilbert, it means nothing to me" I responded bitterly before turning away.
"What about Damons?" I froze, spinning back around to face him.
"Did you tell him that Klaus is your older brother?" He asked, before stepping forward confidently. "And did he care to mention to you that he possesses ash from the white oak tree and one of the silver daggers?" He enquired, smiling slightly. My eyes widened in shock, a sickening feeling coursing through me. A muffled clatter from above made me glance to where Damon and Elijah were just moments ago. They were both gone.

I moved quickly away from the crowd, away from the smug face of John Gilbert, until I burst into an office. My brother had Damon pinned to a wall. Before I could say anything however, he grabbed a pencil and stabbed him in the neck with it, causing him to cry out in pain.
"Stop it, Elijah!" I ran forward, pulling him away harshly and standing between them. Damon fell onto the desk behind me, pulling the pencil from his neck as blood coated his hands.
"I'm an original..." Elijah paused, pulling a hankerchief from his jacket. I rolled my eyes at his dramatic flair "...Show a little respect". I grabbed the hankerchief from his outstretched hand and passed it to Damon.
"We all want the same thing here, so stop being so stupid so we can help eachother" I argued angrily, this whole situation was petty and moronic. Elijah smiled at that, shaking his head slightly before turning back to Damon.
"Just because my sister cares for you doesn't mean I won't hesitate to kill you... the moment you cease to be of use to me, you're dead" he paused as Damon groaned in pain and pressed the hankerchief to his bloody neck. "So... you should do what I say, keep Elena safe" he finished smugly, before turning and walking out, leaving Damon and I alone in the office.