Preparations

Both Katerina and the moonstone were gone. And yet, Bonnie was supposedly our secret weapon. I had to get her alone to talk about this. A thousand years in the world and magic in my family had taught me my fair share about witchcraft. The fact that we no longer had the moonstone meant that she was our last hope. Yet, channeling that much power was risky for any witch. That much I knew.

"Grace?"

Elenas voice pulled me from my thoughts. I smiled absentmindedly from the doorway. Stefan, Damon and I were standing outside waiting to be invited into The Salvatore Boarding House. Even I had to admit, it was a good idea - having the deed to the house in Elenas name would make this place safe against vampires. I nodded at Elena, who was smiling back at me reassuringly.
"Please come inside" she said with a grin, as I stepped into the house once more. I was glad that she trusted me enough and I was determined to live up to that.

"Stefan..." she said next, grinning at her boyfriend. "Would you like to come inside my house?".
"I would love to, thankyou" he responded with a smirk as he also stepped in. The three of us stood for a moment, glancing at Damon who was still stood outside.
"What are we, twelve?" He questioned dryly.
"One of us is" Elena quipped, causing me to snort and receive a slight nudge from Stefan in response. "If I let you in, do you promise to obey the owner of this house?"
"No" he said immediately, amusement in his eyes.
"Seriously, Damon" she started, causing her to glance from him to me. "My way. You promised. I call the shots... no lies, no secret agendas, remember?".
"Yes Elena, sure". He sighed in exasperation.
"Then please, come in" Elena grinned again, standing back to let the older Salvatore enter. He noticed the smirks plastered on both his brothers face and mine as he did so, the pair of us trying desperately not to laugh.
"Shut up" he said, causing us both to snort in laughter.

By the time the three of us had persuaded The Salvatores to let Elena attend school, we were running late. Elena, Bonnie and Stefan went straight ahead to History, yet I hung back to put several things into my locker. By the time I reached the classroom, the lesson had clearly already started, as I noticed 'The 60's' written on the blackboard.
"...Thankyou, Elena" Alaric finished, as he turned back around. It was then that he noticed me at the door.
"Grace" he said, barely masking his surprise, causing me to squint at him curiously, before looking at the class awkwardly.
"Sorry I'm late, Mr Saltzman" I said quickly, before making my way to my seat between Elena and Stefan.
It's... fine" he said, almost apprehensively, "let's just not make a habit of it, hm?".

By the afternoon, most of the junior year was busy rushing around attempting to set up for the decade dance. Caroline would apparently murder Elena, Bonnie and I if we didn't help out and I'm pretty sure she would have - considering how passionate she was about this. It always amused me how enthusiastic American Schools were about these kind of activities, from being on the move I had seen all kinds of education systems. Yet, Americans were always the strangest it seemed.

As Caroline passed me another stack of posters, I went into the hall to sort through them. I noticed Jeremy and Bonnie talking at a table and went to approach them, before I overheard something. Something that I was dreading.

"You can't harness the power of a hundred dead witches, it'll kill you" Jeremy whispered.
"Shh!" Bonnie said desperately whilst glancing around. "We don't know that for certain, you promised to keep my secret and I'm trusting you".

After a few moments however, Elena approached the couple, causing their conversation to stop. Jeremy eventually got up to leave, leaving Elena and Bonnie talking at the table. I stood up from where I was, glaring at Jeremy, before gesturing with my head to come outside. We needed to talk.

Once we were outside, we stood away from the bustling crowd of students who were rushing to prepare for tonight.
"I'm guessing you overheard" Jeremy said frustratedly.
"I did... but truth be told I had my suspicions about it already, the two of you just confirmed them" I muttered. "You care for her, don't you?" I asked, looking to the younger Gilbert curiously, a smile tugging at my lips.
"I do... but she shouldn't have to do this, not if it's gonna kill her in the process" he said, staring at the gravelled ground. I bit my lip anxiously, unsure of what to say. Elena was Jeremys sister and he loved Bonnie... he didn't want to lose either of them.
"There must be another way to do this... there's been enough death, I can't bear the thought of there being any more of it" I said angrily as my nails dug into my palms.
"We've gotta find a way... before it's too late" Jeremy added, before storming past me.

Caroline caught me once I was alone. She was rushing around, her hair flying everywhere as she did so.
"I see hurricane blondie is back" I quipped, causing her to laugh.
"Oh shut up" she grinned before realising something. "did you do those posters for me?" She asked.
"Yep" I nodded, "gave them to Dana to put up in the hall". She grinned again before thanking me.
"So what are you wearing tonight?" She asked, her eyes still focused on the list in her hand.
"Um... I don't actually know, I haven't been to a high school dance in ages" I noted awkwardly.
"Excuse me?" Caroline's head snapped up, an almost terrifying excitement in her eyes.
"I guess I don't really have anything to wear... I didn't bring much with me when I moved here, y'know" I said apprehensively.
"You have to come to mine to get ready then! I have a few sixties outfits I was gonna wear but Matt and I are doing JFK now" she said grinning, "You can borrow one of mine then come with us to the dance!".
"Fine fine!" I said, as Caroline jumped up and down in excitement. "But does this mean i'm third wheeling?" I noted with a teasing smile.
"Unless you want to ask Damon to be your date?" She teased back, causing me to roll my eyes and groan.
"You're impossible, Caroline" I laughed in response.

My only hope for tonight was normalcy. A fun, normal night out... If only I knew what was in store.