Cinderella Part 2

The king sighed. His son, the current crown prince had rejected another potential bride. The king wasn't getting any younger and wanted his son to be married before he passed on. He was so desperate that he began considering looking for women outside of nobility. Now your family was a wealthy one but you weren't of the nobility. You father had made business ground up. You had no lineage to show for. Finally the king came to a decision, all the women who were not married and of age within the capital of the kingdom would come to the party.

Jonathan, the current crown prince, did not want to settle down. He was still young and wanted to do more with his life. He was open to marriage but didn't like any of the women he was presented with. They all were too different from him. All the women he has met all did and acted the same. He wanted someone more free spirited. He wanted someone to share his interest with.

You were cleaning the front the hall when you heard a knock on the door. You open and see a messenger. You are given an envelope. On the envelope is the royal seal and you immediately take it to Madame Iris.

Madame Iris is enjoying tea with her daughters when you enter without knocking. "That is quite disrespectful, to enter without invitation." She says, not hiding her disdain.

"I apologize but a letter from the king arrive." Madame Iris gets on her feet the second you show the letter. She snatches it from your hand and starts reading immediately. Soon she is bursting with joy.

"Praise our King!" She says happily. "The king is hosting a masquerade ball in a week in hopes that his son will find a bride. You girls will be allowed to attend and might have a chance to be his bride!" AT that Rose and Lily were bursting with joy.

"What about F/n?" Rose asks carelessly.

"She can't go." Madame Iris says.

"Why?" Lily asks.

"Because unlike you two girls, she isn't of age. The ball request that every women of age attends. F/n can't go." You were seventeen. You were turning eighteen in two weeks. Rose and Lily were already eighteen. You hated parties in general so the news didn't really affect you. "Cinderella." She says in a mocking tone. "Clean the house immediately and then go to the local seamstress. I want my girls to be the center of attention." You nod and go and take care of your daily chores.

It was the day of the ball. You were getting the dresses you ordered when the seamstress asked,

"Why aren't you going dear?"

"Not old enough." you say in reply.

"You should still be able to go. What is a week's difference."

"Madame Iris would kill me. Besides, I got nothing to wear."

"I beg to differ." The seamstress shows you a dress with a mask that matched. "My daughter had recently gotten married. They accidentally gave me an invitation. If you ever change your mind dear, know that you have a way into the party."

"I'll keep that in mind." You spend the rest of the day preparing Rose and Lily for the party.

"We will be back an hour after midnight. " Madame Iris says. As they are about to leave, Lily whispers to you.

"I am sorry F/n. I will tell you all about it when we get back." she says before she leaves. You are left alone in the empty house. You were told to clean it until it shined but even then you knew that even if there weren't to be a speck of dust, she would yell. You began thinking about the party. You hadn't been to one for two years. Madame Iris always made the excuse that you were sick to attend. You began wondering what it would be like.

"If this is going to be that last party I attend, might as well make it count." You say as you walk to the seamstress' shop. You change into the dress and get the invitation.

"Wait dear." She says. You stop. "Surely you aren't planning on wearing those to the party?" She says gesturing to your feet. Your shoes were rather dirty and you nod. "Wait here. I have something." A moment later she presents you with shoes that look like glass. You put on the shoe and they are slightly big but as long as you didn't run, they shouldn't slip off. You thank the seamstress before heading out. She provided you a horse drawn wagon so you could get there in a timely manner. It took you thirty minutes to arrive there.

The party was extravagant. You steered clear of your stepmother and sisters for good measure. Sure the mask concealed your part of your face but if you were facing someone who knew how you looked without it, they would know it was you. You found the party boring and soon went outside to the balcony questioning why you even bothered to show up. Another gentleman was bored. It was Jonathan. He went to the balcony to give himself a breather. In regular parties he would be surrounded by noble women because he was the crown prince Even though the mask hid the upper half of his face was still surrounded by superficial women and wanted to run away. He noticed you outside. Something about you was different. You seemed bored like him but something was different. You didn't seem fake. He decides to approach you.

"Hello Miss?" He says. You turn to face him and you believe him to look vaguely familiar. He then continues speaking. "May I have your name?"