The Snow Queen Part 1

Deep within the forests, there was a castle made of pure ice. It was so cold that your own breath turns into ice. A woman resided in the castle with her young son. She controlled the season of winter and believed her son would do so as well. So she gave him a fitting name.

"Winter." she calls out to her young son, barely passed the age of ten. A pale boy he was. White hair and skin. It was as if he was whiter than snow. But his eyes. His eyes were the darkest blue anyone has ever seen. The young boy walks up to his mother.

"You called for me." he says politely.

"The season of autumn is at its end. It is time for the new season. It is time for you to learn how to control the cold."

"How shall I do so?"

"A small village is nearby. I want you to control the snow there. Once you are stronger and more controlled with your powers, you can do even more."

"I understand mother."

A pair of siblings were running with firewood. Age nine and thirteen they were and hurrying so they wouldn't be punished.

"Hurry up F/n! If we are even a minute late, the old hag won't give us dinner." the older one says

"I am trying Kiel!" The younger one cries. Kiel and F/n. Son and daughter of Kai and Gerda. They had their run in with the snow queen. They never saw her again afterwards but the two grew up and married. Unfortunately, they had died the past winter.

The siblings were very close and were protective of each other. Kiel especially. The lady of the orphanage liked to mistreat F/n a lot more since she was always so optimistic and innocent. Kiel always noticed this and tried to protect her from it. He would give portions of his food to his younger sister. Five more years he thought. In five years, he would be old enough to take his sister away and protect her.

When they arrived, they were greeted by a large bulging woman. The complete opposite of the small thin children. She was mad. 

"What took you so long?" she asks with rude tone. "I sent you to get firewood. It shouldn't have taken you so long."

"Apologies." you brother says lowering his head. You follow in suit.

"Well because of you, dinner had to be postponed. I think a fitting punishment for this is no dinner for a week."

"What?" you say without thinking. You then notice her narrowing her eyes and glaring at you.

"Do you have a problem with your punishment?"

"...No."

"Leave before you do any other stupid things." Your brother and you put the firewood away and go to the room. They weren't even real room. It was just one long hall filled with cots. The cots were uncomfortable and dirty. The blankets were very thin and the children used their own clothes as pillows.

You missed your parents. Had they been still alive, you would of been in a warm home reading stories and eating proper meals and wearing proper clothes. Now you were working long hours for little pay which nearly all went to the lady. Your brother was unwinding his scarf when you walk up to him.

"I am sorry. Because of me, you had to slow down."

"F/n." your brother says holding you close. "It wasn't your fault. We went as fast as we could. That lady would of said the same thing even if we were back within seconds."

"But-"

"It is okay. I have some money saved up. We can buy left over bread from the bakery for dinner." You smile at your brother. He would always tell you how he plans on taking you away from the orphanage once he is old enough to leave. Five years he told you. In five years, you would be free.