Bluebeard Part 1

Thunder and lightening roared in the dark, stormy night. Frantic footsteps were hastily climbing down the stairs. A woman holding fistfuls of her skirt so that she may not fall. Tears were streaming down her face, nearly blocking her vision. She made it the door and pulled on it and found it lock. By the time she realized it, she was too late. She turned around in horror as a sword was brandished in front of her. Her screams were drowned out by the thunder. Once the deed was done and the woman laid dead, the man who killed her, looked at her dead body. 

"Why did you lie to me?" he utters before dragging the woman's corpse away.

You were the youngest of three. You had two older brothers and you lived with them in a small house in the countryside. You lived in the outskirts of the province that was ruled by a lord. This lord in particular had rumors circulating around him. He was said to have been married several times and all his wives disappearing. When asked about the missing ladies, he would say they died of disease or ran away with a lover. How he must of phrased it must of been very convincing since he was still getting marriage requests.

There were rumors about him visiting your village and men were talking about hiding the girls. The nobility may not be afraid of the rumors but the peasants, much like yourselves, were. None of the men wanted to lose their daughters to a man who might make them disappear. Your family was different. Your parents died when you were ten and your brothers fourteen and eighteen. Your oldest brother Joseph raised you and your brother, Keith for the next nine years. Your brothers were men who didn't believe in rumors and you too didn't believe them either. You knew that rumors could be baseless and people always twist them so it fits what description they desire. 

You weren't particularly scared of this lord as who would really want a peasant as a wife. The lord didn't even seem that bad since he ruled justly in the province and is still getting marriage offers. With reality of things, you didn't believe the rumors had any base. 

The lord in question was in his room. He looked out the window and sighed. The lord knew of the rumors. People called him a demon because of his blue hair. But they weren't wrong. He had executed his fifth wife. He thinks back to why everything happened. His first wife was someone he loved dearly. She was beautiful and smart. He loved her so much and had a lot of trust in her. Then one day, he say her in bed with another man. Angered, he murdered her and her lover that moment. He hid their bodies and kept them in a room in a high tower. Burying them would lead to too much suspicion. It wasn't lie about his wives dying or running away. His second wife died of pneumonia. His third ran away with her lover. It was his fourth and fifth that found the room. 

He had gone on trips to the capital and gave his wives the keys to the doors. He told them specifically not to go to the tower. Now he knew people, once they hear they can't do something, get the urge to do it. He was testing their love. He had enchanted the key to the room so that once the door was unlocked, the key would turn red. Both of the wives entered the room and both were killed by him. He hid their bodies in that room. Now the lord wanted to marry again. Not with a noble woman but with someone who would love him genuinely. He planned on dressing up as a peasant and finding a bride who would love him genuinely. The woman who did, would be his wife.