Bluebeard Part 5 (End)

Jack was very happy to see you and gave you a hug which you return hesitantly. He put a lock of your hair back and gave a worried smile.

"Are you okay love?" You feign a smile.

"Just my time of month." you reply. He hugs you once more.

"Do you have the keys?" You present him the keys and he smiles. The key to the tower hadn't turn red. He believed you never went into the room and was pleased to think you trusted him. "You didn't go into the room I told you not to go in right?"

"...Of course not." Jack spent the rest of the day with you and you tried to pretend you were happy but you were terrified. You wanted to go back to the village. You would tell your brothers to flee and leave the province and you would go with them. With the idea in your head you write to your brothers telling them what happened.

Jack had noticed the changes that occurred in you. For days you would be very brisk with him and silent. Figuring enough is enough, Jack finally corners you in your room.

"What happened F/n. I feel like you have been avoiding me lately."

"I am not."

"You are dear. So why are you avoiding me?"

"...I need some space."

"What?" he asked confused.

"Being married to a lord is somewhat tiring and restricting. I would like some time for myself. Perhaps you will let me visit my brothers?"

"Sure my dear. I will go with you."

"No!" you shout louder than you meant. "I mean, you are busy right now, I'll go alone." Jack finally agrees. Now you were sleeping peacefully in bed when Jack got up. Something was off. You were hiding something from him. He decided to go to the room he forbid you from entering. He unlocked the door and surveyed the room. The bodies were still there. No foot prints. Finally he looked down and picked up a hair pin. At that he glared.

"So you did enter the room." he went back into the room where you were sleeping. He had a dagger with him. As he raised it above your head, he stopped. You were so peaceful sleeping. He thinks back to all his wives. He only ever truly loved his first wife and she betrayed him. The other four he never really cared for. He puts his dagger away and gets into the bed with you and holds you tight. He really loved you. He wasn't going to let you go. And so he tailed you when you went to visit your brothers.

Keith and Joseph were relieved to see you. May had sat you done and asked if it was really true. As you explain in more detail, your brothers anger becomes more and more visible.

"I trusted that blasted man!" Joseph said. "I should of known he was bad especially with the damn rumors going around. And now you are married to him."

"Well at least she is back home with us." Keith says. "We need to start packing. We will live in the next province over. May can you please give her a set of clothes."

"Of course." she nods as she heads to her room. Finally the day of the departure comes. At the crack of dawn, the four of you leave. In the forest, you take a break and Joseph heads to the stream to get some fish for breakfast. Keith goes out to collect fire wood. It has been over an hour and neither of your brothers return. 

"I'm worried." May says. "Joseph I can understand since he is catching fish but Keith should be back by now." Just then you hear rustling and see a badly injured Keith.

"He got Joseph. He killed." he says through ragged breaths. "Run. Before he gets... before he gets... you." At that Keith drops dead. May attempts to run over to him but you hold her back. You knew what happened. Jack. 

"We need to run." You take May's arm and both of you start running. Halfway through May trips. You are about to help her when she shouts.

"Go! I will take care of everything here." You nod and leave her. You understood why she sacrificed herself. Joseph was dead and Jack was after you. She was going to try to slow him down by having him kill her.

You are soon hiding behind a tree. You here galloping and know it is Jack.

"Don't worry F/n." He says. You hear him dismounting his horse as the leaves crunch under him. "I won't kill you like my past wives. Because unlike with them, I love you." You push yourself closer to the tree. You wanted to disappear and you close your eyes. Moments past. The ground stops crunching but you dare not move. Another couple of minutes pass when you hear a whisper. "F/n. I found you."