Mulan Part 3

You quickly donned a shirt since you wanted to maintain some sort of decency. If you were to be killed, you wanted to at least wearing clothes. You look up to meet Captain Cai's gaze.

"Hua Bai Zan." he says, "You are a woman."

"I am." you reply.

"You know the punishment don't you."

"I did this aware of what might occur if caught. I am prepared for the consequences." you state. Captain Cai looks at you before saying.

"No else know this correct?" you nod. "I won't kill you. We are short on men and you are stronger than the men here. You are going to be useful in the war." You were astonished at what he said.

"You won't kill me?"

"Too many are dying everyday. We need all the help we can get."

"Thank you Captain Cai." you bow your head in respect.

"In exchange for your life, I demand to know your real name."

"Hua F/n." you reply.

"I see. Make sure no one knows. Once they do, even I can't save you." You nod and he leaves. Within two weeks you are on the move to start your first battle.

You were setting up camp. Captain Cai said that everyone will be sharing a tent with at least one other person. You were waiting to see who needed a partner when he walked up to you.

"You will be staying with me." You were going to protest but he then whispers in your ear. "If you stay with another man, you risk having your gender known." you nod and silently obey. The others found it odd you were sharing the tent but Captain Cai said just because he held an important position in the army didn't mean he was to be treated any better than the men he leads.

Training commenced on the daily and even though he knew your secret, he still was a strict teacher. You lie down on your blankets exhausted when he comes in.

"You don't undue your chest binds when you sleep?" he asks.

"It is too much of risk if I do." you state covering your eyes. You were going to launch a surprise attack on the enemy and you were a bit scared. You never killed anyone before and you were worried that you yourself would get killed.

"Why did you join the army?" you turn to him. "There has to be a reason. By now, you would of been married."

"...My father." you reply. "I have a younger brother but he is not old enough to join the military. My father did fight in the war, but was left with an injury that left him limping. He is getting old and my family knew he wouldn't survive had he gone. My family needs him more than they need me." you knew that if they heard this, you parents might of slapped you for doubt your own worth. Nevertheless it was true in your society. If you were born a boy, you could of just taken your father's place without fear of being discovered.

"They must be worried." he says calmly.

"Yeah." you yawn and turn on your side. "Goodnight Captain Cai."

"Jian Ren." he says. "You can call me Jian Ren when we are alone. In front of everybody, you will address me as Captain Cai though."

"Pardon my rudeness, but why are you telling me this?"

"You are the first person in years I feel like I can trust."