Dolls : 1

A vent one shot

///

synopsis

Lucy made a mistake and Natsu comes to talk to her about it, but this mistake ends up causing a rift between them

///

D O L L S

Lucy sat down on her bed, the blankets were still neat and the window was allowing the sun to sneak inside. Yet her mood was not sunny and bright, it was far from bright and her heart ached. It hurt so much and she knew that her eyes were already wanting to release the salty liquid known as tears.

She hadn't seen him for two days, she skipped school for two days and turned off her phone so she didn't have to hear anything but her own thoughts.

You always run away Lucy, just like your mom did. She shut her eyes refusing to hear herself. Her fists were clenched on her lap and she looked down at them. Her hair covering her face as silent tears fell. Her thoughts always scared her because they were always right.

"Luce...?" She froze, her tears still falling on her lap, she slowly looked up to see Natsu by the window. His pink hair was still neat and his jersey was on, he probably came from practice.

"Don't call me...." her words fell as soon as they came and she looked away wiping her eyes. She knew he was watching her carefully, but she refused to acknowledge it.

She heard shuffling and knew he was more closer to her, he knelt down to meet her eyes and she froze.

"What are you doing here Natsu?" She asked, her voice soft and scared. Her hands were gripping her sweatpants tightly as if she needed them to live.

He grinned at her brightly, a genuine grin - not an awkward/fake/angry one. Of course he'd act like everything was ok, of course he'd act like it was nothing. He doesn't care that she kissed him and that he rejected her in front of everyone.

"I've been worried about you and came to see if you were ok Luce." He grinned brightly. Flashes of the laughter and the embarrassment rang in her head and she couldn't believe what she heard come out of his mouth.

The way he had pushed her away - was he not worried then?

"It seems like you've been avoiding us." Then his voice changed to a serious tone. "Why?" Hurt flashed in his eyes briefly. Why are you avoiding me?

"Did you forget already?" She breathed out, tears prickling her eyes again. She looked at him, she was hurt enough. She swallowed and opened her mouth but shut it.

She was the problem....

She made the mistake.....

The mistake of ever falling in love with him.

"What happened at the party doesn't change anything." Natsu spoke up giving her a reassuring smile. "That kiss...it doesn't change anything, we're still best friends." She winced at the word, he said it like nothing.

Something snapped.

"I wanted it to change us, but you know what ." She stood up and turned away from him. "Fine I'll play along, let's pretend Lucy Heartfillia didn't get her heart broken, let's pretend she was ok that her crush aka her best friend makes out with 2 girls a day in front of her." She turned towards him, tears falling down her red cheeks.

"I'll be the doll Natsu, I'll smile and laugh like nothing changed." She laughed bitterly. "I'll be the Barbie doll." She said icily.

"That's not what I meant Lu-" he reached towards her but as flinched and backed away from him.

"Don't." She looked at him, he was hurting now. She wanted to stop by something told her that she had to be honest with him now. What's there to lose Lucy, you already lost your best friend. "I've always played the role of your friend, imagine having your crush of 5 years talk about having sex with someone else, or maybe how you'll flirt with me and then the next moment your shoving your tongue down a girl's throat." She shook her head, she didn't care if she was a crying mess she had to get it out.

"You've played me over and over again, yet I always come back and act like nothing happened. You kill me over and over again Natsu." She finished quietly at the end. "It wasn't fair that I kissed you in front of everyone, I just needed to know..."

"Know what?"It came out harshly, but she didn't flinch.

"Know if you feel the same way...." she answered truthfully, looking up at him. "So tell me Natsu."

"Tell you what?" He spoke up, he was scared and she knew it.

"That you don't like me, you don't feel the same way ." She was scared that she already knew the answer to it.

Natsu's breath hitched and he stared at her for a long time. Not taking his eyes off of her, Natsu had always had commitment issues. He hadn't told her but she would hear him confide to Gray and Gajeel. His face shadowed and he looked away.

"I can't." He said. "I'm sorry Lucy, but I can't do this." He jumped out the window and Lucy just watched him go. She sunk to the floor and cried.

Please comment your thoughts