Unrequited Love

"You can't force someone to love you. The best things you can do is strive to be someone worth loving." - unknown 

///

based on a non-canon ship 

///

side note 

I am so sorry Gray, you fit the part though.

///

Unrequited Love

Natsu sat down, the room was cool and fresh. The girl in front of him laid on the hospital bed, her eyes focused on the birds outside. She turned to face him, her blue hair pinned back with a small golden flower pin. Her white cat on her lap, sleeping peacefully. 

"Hey Natsu, do you have anyone you love?" She asked, Natsu simply sat down beside her smiling at the thought of her. 

"I have this girl I love named Lucy..." He remembered the day he got put on a team with her, he was over the moon after he found out. She wasn't too happy, but then she found out that Gray was on their team as well. "Well, actually it's one-sided on my part." He chuckled nervously. 

The moments that she would always linger closer to Gray or how she always wanted to walk beside him. Yet as they grew older, when Gray left, Lucy and Natsu grew closer. He promised that no matter what, he'll bring Gray back. Lucy had smiled at the promise and seeing that smile only fired him up even more. 

"But Lucy is totally in love with a guy named Gray." Natsu spoke up after a while, Wendy looked at him with a shocked look. "She always tries hard to win over his love." She was so determined to bring him back, to show him how much he meant to her. Yet Gray would constantly shoot her down. He remembered how she would ask Gray if he wanted to walk with her or go out for food.

"When she's at it...." The memory of her smiling at him when she would try to ask him out came to mind. "Her smile is the cutest things." It always brightened his day. There was no way to explain when he fell in love, he just knew that he was in love with her.

"Are you ok with that? With her being in love with him? Didn't he try to kill her several times?" Wendy asked already getting hurt with what she was hearing. Yeah, he did try to kill her, but Natsu was always there to save her. 

" I could never force her to love me, so I made up my mind!" He turned to face Wendy, a huge smile on his face. "The way Lucy tries so hard to win Gray over, I'm going to try hard to win Lucy over." Wendy smiled brightly and looked out the window. 

---

Years Later

Natsu watched as Lucy walked with her child down the street, he was in the main office that oversaw Magnolia. Gray was always away from home, so she would often be home alone with her daughter. He turned away and sat on his desk, the girl that risked her life for him. The girl that watched him from afar, he married her. Lisanna. He leaned back in his chair and looked up.

Could things have turned out differently?