Problem.°•

Phiona

I was getting ready for school when Claudia came back into the living room with me. We had both fell asleep on the couch last night.

"Phiona it's that time once again." Claudia said. I sighed knowing exactly what she was talking about.

"Alright. I'll take a double shift tonight okay?" I asked.

"Sweetie no.." Claudia said.

"We need the money Mama C. Please, let me help." I said. She sighed, tears coming to her eyes.

"You do so much for us.. thank you Phiona." Claudia said. I weakly smiled.

"I care for y'all, I'll be okay. Just as long as you and the children eat." I explained. She nodded her head and hugged me, sending me off on my way to school.

What we talked about? We ran out of money to buy groceries. That's what, so I'll be working a second shift tonight at the grocery store. It has strict limits, so I really can't just grab things for myself. I do care for the kids and Mama Claudia more than myself though. I work like this for them. They need to eat. I swear living like this is so hard.

°°

I arrived at the school and walked in. Immediately going to creative writing. I walked in to see Brice already about to make fun of me. I quickly took my seat, putting my hair in my face avoiding everyone. I heard the laughs and voices of those jerks as I sat there. I wasn't scared of them, I just couldn't take their mess.

"Alright class. Time to announce partners." Mr. Dupri said standing in front of the class. He started out naming the partners.

"Brice and Nate." Mr. Dupri said. Brice groaned.

"I don't want to be with him bruh." Brice said. I rolled my eyes, that whole group are the rudest to Nate, but he still believes he's their friend. I waited and waited for my name to be called, I was not paying attention to anyone else's partner. Only mine.

"And lastly... Jay and Phiona." Mr. Dupri said. "Take a seat by your partner." he said. I felt my eyes widen. The guy I dreaded being with most, is now my partner.

"Wait. Who in the hell is that?" Jay asked. I rolled my eyes, lowering my head.

"You know man. Shrek's wife?" Brice laughed. Jay laughed as well.

"Ahhm Brice get to work.." Mr. Dupri cleared his throat. "Jay...your partner Phiona is right over there." Mr. Dupri pointed me out sending me a warm smile. I weakly smiled back.

Jay looked over at me, with a disgusted look on his face.

"Shrek and Phiona!" Brice yelled. Everyone laughed. Jay flipped him off as he made his way over to me.

I scooted my things over, letting him take a seat next to me. I continued hiding my face from him though. I felt his eyes burning a hole through the side of my head. I turned to look at him.

"You ain't gon' talk or nothin'?" Jay asked. I simply shrugged not wanting to say anything. He chuckled and casually licked his lips turning his attention back to the front of the classroom.

I slouched back in my seat feeling embarrassed. I took a deep breath as class continued. Mr. Dupri then gave us a small assignment to do with our partner.

"Yo Dupri! Why you put me with her, she stupid as hell." Jay exclaimed to the teacher.

"You'd be surprised Mr. Latimore, the girl has knowledge." Mr. Dupri smirked. Jay looked at me and rolled his eyes.