Colorado Christmas

But all along the Rockies you can feel it in the air
From Telluride to Boulder down below
The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere
Is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow
----Colorado Christmas, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

December 23, 2017

Grayson and Cait timed their arrival in Denver to coincide with Grayson's parents and the four of them traveled to the ranch together.  Cait had made arrangements for Grayson's car to be delivered to the airport, figuring he'd appreciate the chance to drive it, and they stowed their bags and set out, Cait reminding him that they'd need to take the interstate, as the mountain passes were closed at this time of year. 

They were greeted at the ranch by Jack, but Chitana quickly appeared, fussing with the bags after hugging Grayson. 

"Here we go again," Cait huffed.  "Been away for over a month but she's still happier to see him than me."

Grayson stuck his tongue out at her, while Chitana rolled her eyes.  "And I see time away hasn't made you any sweeter, girl."  She hugged Cait now.  "Good thing I love you anyhow."

Once everyone was settled, Cait offered a tour of the house and grounds to Grayson's parents.  Grayson tagged along, making sure to show them the trophy room.  And Cait took them to the stables, snickering a bit at Grayson's obvious hesitance to go in. 

"They aren't going to hurt you, Grayson," she smiled and held her hand out to him.  "Have you ever considered learning to ride?"

"No, thank you," Grayson huffed.  "My own two feet work just fine."

"Come here." She pulled him close to a stall.  "This is Guinness, he's the calmer of my two horses."

The black horse lifted his head at the sound of Cait's voice and bumped her shoulder gently.  "He wants some attention, don't you baby?"  Cait stroked the velvety nose of the horse and pulled an apple from her coat pocket to offer him. 

Grayson's parents had wandered away, in conversation with Jack who was explaining some of the ranching operation and Grayson moved closer to his girlfriend.

"Maybe I'd like some attention," he whispered softly.  "How does that whole 'roll in the hay' thing work?"

Cait smiled up at him but their moment was interrupted by a snort and an impatient animal bumping Grayson a bit more firmly than he had Cait.  "See, they hate me," Grayson huffed. 

"He does not.  He's just jealous," Cait laughed.  The horse was nuzzling Cait, nibbling her hair.  She reached into her pocket again and pulled out a carrot this time.  "Offer him that," she said.  "You'll be his new best friend."

Grayson tentatively held out the carrot and the animal delicately took it from him.  "Let's quit while I'm ahead," he suggested, grabbing Cait's hand and tugging her toward the door. 

"Go ahead," she smiled at him.  "I'll be right out.  If I don't say hello to Jameson, he'll get mad.  And I'm not sure you're ready for him."
*****
Later that day, Cait determined that Jameson needed some exercise so she decided to take a ride.  Grayson was perfectly happy reading by the fireplace and chatting with his parents and Jack. 

He heard Jack suddenly let out a chuckle and looked up to see him staring out the huge great room windows.  Cait was returning from her ride.  Either that, or she was being chased by something.