Missin' You Crazy

Been running this highway like a greyhound
Ain't nothing left for me to see
And sometimes I wish that I could break down
And get on back to you and me
Take the next flight and leave this crazy life
Get back home in time to kiss you goodnight
——Missin' You Crazy, Jon Pardi

May 4, 2018

It had actually taken both Luke and Cait to talk Grayson down initially.  He was tired from the workouts, mentally exhausted by the preparation.  And he was pretty much irate with Aaron. 

"I'll fire his ass. I told him to stay the hell away from my relationship with you," Grayson snapped.

"He is, Baby Boy," Cait sighed.  "You're not going to fire him.  It's not as though he's asking you to dump me.  He's looking out for you. We'll just keep the engagement low key for a little bit.  It's not crazy.  Let's let you get through the next couple of months."

"That's absurd.  We're planning a wedding," Grayson huffed.  "How are we supposed to keep that quiet?"

"We can," Cait told him.  "We'll be fine.  I've got two more finals plus my summer classes and you're gonna be busy. Unfortunately, we won't see even see all that much of each other before the draft."

"I think you're forgetting-" Grayson started.

"I'm not forgetting anything," she told him. "There's no reason that we have to be in the spotlight."

"I don't like this," Grayson frowned. 

"Baby, we need to do what's best for you," Cait told him. 

"You're what's best for me," Grayson said firmly.

"And I'll still be here.  You aren't getting rid of me," she smiled. 

"G," Luke jumped in, "trust me on this, you don't want the whole world in your relationship. You and Cait know what the deal is. Your families and friends know. That's what matters."

"Don't you remember how sideways things got when we tried low key before?" Grayson asked. "Kitten, you were miserable."

"This is different," Cait insisted. "It's just for a few weeks. And everyone knows we're together."

"It's for the best, G," Luke told him. "You focus on basketball, on the draft. That process sucks enough without you worrying about the latest reaction from Twitter or the tabloids."

"You guys are making too much sense," Grayson huffed. "I'm not liking being ganged up on."

"We aren't ganging up on you," Cait told him. "We're having a calm, rational discussion."

"That's so not our style," Grayson snorted.

"I can't argue with that," Cait laughed. "But every once in awhile it doesn't kill us to act like grown ups."

"It's not as much fun," Grayson said. "But I guess we can't have one of our usual arguments when we're 3,000 miles apart."

"Wish we could," Cait smiled now.

"I don't even wanna know," Luke huffed.

*****
After they talked Grayson off the ledge, Cait took Luke to Grayson's favorite Irish pub for dinner. The two of them just caught up on all the stuff that didn't make its way into their increasingly rare phone conversations. Luke even told her the story of buying Rae's engagement ring and his subsequent conversation with Grayson and had her howling with laughter.