What Makes You Beautiful

Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell
You don't know
You don't know you're beautiful
——What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction

March 2, 2018

Cait woke slowly, awareness finally catching up with her.  She blinked a few times and saw Rae smiling at her.  "Good morning, sleepyhead," Rae said softly, patting her hand.  "You've been out for quite a while.  How are you feeling?"

"Hungry," Cait answered.  "Really hungry."  She looked at Rae.  "Grayson?  Is he okay?"

Rae smiled.  "He's fine, Cait.  You're the one that had emergency surgery."

Before she could respond, the door opened and Rae's mother came through with Cait's father.  "She's finally awake," Joan smiled at her, while her father kissed her head.

Cait nodded and tried to sit up a bit, before Rae rushed to adjust the bed.  "How are you feeling?"  Joan asked.

"She's hungry," Rae answered for her.  "And worried about Grayson."  That caused Jack to roll his eyes and shake his head.

Joan smiled at her.  "Let's get some breakfast in you.  Jack, why don't you go put in an order with the nurse.  You know what she likes."

Jack nodded.  "Pancakes, Princess?" he asked.

"And coffee."  Cait said.

Her father smiled a bit, nodded and left the room.  "How much do you remember about what I told you last night?" Joan asked.  Cait looked confused.

"Not much," she admitted.  "Just glad to feel better."

"You had a cyst that caused your left ovary to tortion, to twist up and start bleeding," Joan told her.  "I had to remove it."

Cait processed that for a minute. She looked confused. "What does that mean?"

"You're going to be fine," Joan told her. "I'm certain that the cyst was benign."

"But you had to remove -" Cait started. She shook her head and looked up at Joan, tears brimming in her eyes. "I need you to be honest with me. Will I be able to have children?"

March 3, 2018

Grayson was pacing the floor of the house again. Cait had been released from the hospital the day before and had spent last night with Rae, Rae's mom Joan and Jack at Joan's house. Joan had promised that if everything was okay, Cait could fly to Durham today. And she'd left Detroit early this morning, a couple of hours ago, all three of them with her. Jack had insisted that he'd feel better with a doctor and a nurse making the trip with them.

Grayson had spoken to Cait several times the day before, calling her in between all the media, and she'd sounded tired, but he'd just needed to hear her voice. He wasn't sure whether she'd be able to come to the game tonight, but he wanted to at least see her.

The media staff had walked him and his parents through everything for Senior Night the previous afternoon, after he'd done a required media availability, including an interview with Jay Bilas.  And Coach had told him that he didn't want him surprised by anything, so they'd shown him the video that Luke and Cait had made. Coach had been concerned that Grayson would get emotional if he saw it for the first time in front of thousands of people.