You and Me

And there's you and me
And all of the people
And I don't know why
I can't keep my eyes off of you

----You and Me, Lifehouse

May 26, 2018

Grayson took his place beside Luke in the front of the historic church.  He looked out at the crowd of people, feeling a few butterflies in his stomach. 

"Damn, that's a lot of people," Luke whispered quietly.  "Do you know even a quarter of them?"

"Not even a tenth," Grayson whispered back. 

"Amazing considering how fast this wedding came about," Luke observed.  "I mean, nice that Jack wanted her to have the fairy tale wedding but this happened in a hurry. If I didn't know better, I'd think the bride was knocked up."

That caused Grayson's dorky giggle to spill out, in spite of his best efforts to keep his composure.  And then they both heard the familiar voice.

"Will you two dumbasses please be quiet," Coach K hissed at them.  "You're making the groom nervous."

"The only thing that makes me nervous about those two is the fact that, eventually, I have to give my girls away to them," Jack Callahan gritted out.  "Of course, I blame you for that."

"Me?  What'd I do?"  Mike Krzyzewski looked at his oldest friend.

"Send her to Duke, you said." Jack gave him a level look.  "She won't really be training with the team, just using the same facilities.  No big deal.  What's the worst that could happen? But now I'm saddled with those two dumbasses for life."

"Better you than me," Coach muttered.  "You took them off my hands."

"All because you though that Cait could get Floppy over there to pull his head out of his ass and talk to someone, I wind up with not one but two of them.  You're welcome," Jack frowned.

By now, Luke and Grayson were fighting a losing battle not to laugh out loud.  But they looked across the church and caught sight of two girls in pale blue bridesmaid dresses who were glaring at them.  The third was looking on in amusement. 

Grayson took in the sight of his fiancée. The light blue dress, her hair in a loose updo, the bouquet of hydrangea and the ring that sparkled on her left hand.  He couldn't help but smile at her as the bride started down the aisle on the arm of Mark Kennard. 

Cait caught his eye and tilted her head in the direction of the elderly woman in the second row of pews, whose gaze was shooting daggers at her granddaughter.  Grayson smirked at bit.  Cait was still pretty shrewd.

When Jack and Joan had told them all on Easter Sunday that they were getting married in eight weeks, Grayson had known that this day might be difficult for Cait. Jack and Joan had hesitantly asked if she would be opposed to a big wedding.  Joan had married Rae's father in medical school and it had been small and informal.  Jack wanted to give Joan the chance to have the wedding of her dreams.  But he'd been concerned about his daughter's reaction.

Cait had told them she'd be fine.  And Grayson knew she was.  And that she appreciated her dad and new stepmother allowing her to use their wedding, which had been intended to be open only to several hundred invited guests, to pull a fast one on her grandmother.