Breathe

All my thoughts just seem to settle on the breeze
When I'm lying wrapped up in your arms
The whole world just fades away
The only thing I hear
Is the beating of your heart
——Breathe, Faith Hill

May 11, 2018

Cait spent the day getting ready for her guests. Her father, Joan, Will, Sherry, Luke and Rae were all arriving today and she was having dinner for them at the house.  And she made some food for the rest of the weekend too.  As much as she enjoyed cooking, she had other plans for her free time this weekend.

Her small graduation celebration was increasing in size. The Kennards would be arriving the next day, Jennifer insisting that she and Mark weren't going to be left out.

And Grayson. The one person that Cait most wanted to celebrate with would be there the next day as well.

She was going to ignore everything else, including the stuff about her and Luke. She wanted to get through graduation and get her classes finished.  She wanted to let Grayson get through the draft.  And she wanted to get to her 22nd birthday.

Right now, though, she needed to head to the airport to pick up Rae and Luke.  Her dad would handle the Allens.  And she had to keep her composure and not let anyone know about the increasingly shrill demands of her grandmother that Cait drop everything and get back to New York for an audience.  She needed to just get through the next six weeks.  And be happy.

*****
She didn't have to fake happiness to see her best friend.  Even though it had been less than a week, she and Rae still hugged each other long and hard in the airport.  And she and Luke didn't shy away from the hug either.  The three of them jumped in Grayson's BMW and headed to the house. 

Once inside, they all relaxed a bit.  Rae and Cait were discussing Cait's job offer, Rae firing the last round of questions she had and Cait answering them.  Cait exhibited a lot of patience, for her.  But eventually, as she started cooking, Cait glanced at her best friend, who was setting the table on the deck.

"So where are we on this, Rae?" she asked.  "Are you in or out?  Or are we gonna continue with the questions, even though I feel like I'm being pecked to death by a duck?"

Rae giggled at that.  "I guess this is when I should tell you that I handed in my resignation on Monday.  I'm in.  Let's give away obscene amounts of money to good causes."

Cait yelled and hugged her.  "That's so awesome!  I can't believe we get to work together."

They were jumping and hugging when Luke walked out on the deck, shaking his head.  "The whole damn neighborhood can hear you two," he grinned at them.  "I thought Rae could only hit that high a pitch in bed."

Rae turned red, but Cait started to laugh.  Finally, Rae regained her composure.  "I won't be hitting any notes in bed if you aren't careful, buster," she frowned at him.

"Just keep yourselves under control until Gray gets here tomorrow," Cait chuckled.  "Then it's at least a fair fight."

"Oh no," Luke smirked at her.  "G got some payback in February.  You still deserve anything I can dish out."

"Uh, Luke," Cait returned, "you do realize how small the New York apartment is, right?  And we were just there last weekend.  I think the score is even."