2 Places At 1 Time

And out of everywhere I've been
Oh it kills me every time
If I could only find out how to be in 2 places at 1 time
——2 Places At 1 Time, Zac Brown Band

February 3, 2018

Maybe y'all should have worn flip flops.  😡

"Damn," Gary breathed looking at the text on his phone.  "Mama's a savage."

Wendell dropped into his seat on the bus.  "I think her point is that we didn't take this game seriously enough," he sighed.  "And she's right.  We didn't. And G was right too. We should have been worried about St. John's instead of gettin' in his business."

Gary frowned a bit, but kept his voice low.  "I get what you're saying, but I'm worried about him, too.  Whatever's up, we all need to sort somethin' out.  Quick."

*****

Luke hung up his phone with a sigh. For once, he was grateful that Cait was so far away, because he had a feeling that otherwise, he'd be bruised by now. She'd ripped into him over people pressuring Grayson to marry her, although Luke had denied that he had anything to do with that. He might have put Justin on his case, but he wasn't about to admit that to Cait. And he'd had nothing to do with the freshmen getting wound up over it. At least she'd been so focused on that that she hadn't yet spoken to Rae or she'd have been ripping into him about last week, too.

He'd watched the St. John's game, but he had a game of his own tonight, even though he was nursing an injury, so he had to get to the arena. He gave Rae a lingering kiss and headed out. On the drive over, he wondered if he could convince Grayson that they should both be looking at rings while he was in Durham.

February 6, 2018

Carolina. It was the only thing on anyone's mind at this point. They'd played on the road before, but Grayson knew nothing compared to playing in the Dean Dome.

He tried to prepare the freshmen for it. So did Coach. He hoped they were getting the picture. He was worried that they were buying into their own hype, instead of focusing on the team. And he wanted to beat Carolina.

It wasn't that he disliked the players. Joel Berry was actually a friend, had grown up in Jacksonville. They'd played AAU together. But the rivalry was bitter and intense.

But even with Carolina front and center in his thoughts, Grayson still found that Cait occupied space in his head. He knew that she was on her way to South Korea, would arrive there in about six more hours. This was it, what she'd been working toward for so long.  And a part of him wished he could be there with her.

His mom and Jennifer were leaving on Monday, his mother not wanting to miss the Carolina game. They'd miss the Opening Ceremony, but would be there in plenty of time for the Super G event on February 17.

Grayson had mostly gotten over his annoyance with the kids butting into his relationship with Cait, although it hadn't been easy once he found out that they'd called her and woken her up. They'd apologized in their usual disjointed fashion. But they had bigger problems to worry about than that anyhow, so he couldn't let himself dwell on it.  Coach was beyond pissed with their performance against St. John's.  And Cait had told him not to yell at them, that it was his own fault for not just telling them that she wasn't going to be living in New York full time.