Hold On Forever

First thing, we make you feel better
Next stop, we pull it all together
I'll keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, hold on forever
Just fall apart if you need to
I'm here and I won't leave you now
Don't look down
Hold on forever
----Hold On Forever, Rob Thomas

They just sat on the couch for a long time, arms wrapped around each other, Cait's head resting on Grayson's chest. Grayson held her, tried to memorize the feel of her. Finally, he spoke. "I really do love you." His voice was thick. "And I don't want you to ever question that."

"Even when I'm not lovable?" Cait whispered, feeling guilty for losing her patience and snapping at him.

"Especially then," he returned softly. "Because I'm not always lovable either and it makes me believe that you can love me in those moments too."

"I do, Grayson. I love you all the time. Even when I get mad at you, I still love you." She looked up at him now.

"Good," he smiled at her. "Are you still mad at me?"

Cait's forehead wrinkled. "I might have been a little frustrated with you, but I wasn't really mad."

"Shit, that's disappointing." He smirked at her now. "I was hoping we could argue."

She smirked back. "How about we just make up instead."

"Sounds good." He kissed the end of her cute little nose. "I've got lots to make up to you and some really good ideas about how to accomplish it. I have a win to celebrate. And I need a shower."
*****
December 31, 2017

Grayson had practice and Cait needed to get a work out in, so they headed out to the gym together. Grayson seemed to have snapped himself out of his funk and they were both smiling when they walked in.

Justin took one look at his roommate and shook his head with a smile. He had a few minutes before practice so he snuck off to the weight room.

"You must be some kind of damn miracle worker," he said when he found Cait. "How do you do it? He's smiling and cutting up over there and yesterday he looked like his dog died."

Cait smiled back. "I just made him talk about it. And the rest you'd probably rather not know about."

Justin rolled his eyes. "I'm willing to do a lot for the good of the team, but there is a limit. Not sure how we're gonna deal with him while you're away."

"Just let me know if he gets moody again.  It usually just means that he's worrying over something that he doesn't need to worry about," Cait said.  "He's fine, Justin.  He's so much better than last year.  And he knows he has to keep it together and be the captain of the team.  He'll manage. I have faith in him. For what it's worth, the stuff that was bugging him had nothing to do with basketball or the team. He'll be okay."

Justin nodded. "I'm keeping you on speed dial. Just in case." 

He headed toward the gym but detoured to Coach's office near the locker room.  The door was open and Justin stuck his head in.  "Hey Coach," he smiled.  "Just want to let you know that the situation we talked about the other day seems to be taken care of."

Coach K looked up and grinned.  "I figured it would get worked out."

"She's something else," J-Rob shook his head.