To The Moon And Back

Through the dirt and the gravel
Through the years and the miles
Every road that you've traveled
Through the tears and the smiles
Through the clear and the muddy
Through the thick and thin
The quiet nights, the howling wind
Through the good and the ugly
The blue and the black
To the ends of the earth
To the moon and back

Through all of the words,
The mean and the kind
Through the strings that unravel
And the ties that bind
From the crazy and the different
To the more of the same
From the coast is clear to a hurricane
Yeah, I'll be right beside you
On a roll or off the tracks
To the ends of the earth
To the moon and back

Through the bitter and the sweet
The cold and the fire
The lonely cotton sheets
And the burning desire
Until our song is over
Til the stars all fade to black
I'm gonna love you
To the ends of the earth
To the moon and back

Yeah, I'm gonna love you
All the way to the moon and back

——To the Moon and Back, Luke Bryan

April 27, 2018

Grayson arrived in Durham and took a deep breath as he slid behind the wheel of his BMW.  Before he started it, he fired off a text and he got a response from Mike.  He smiled at his phone and set out.

He stopped by the house and changed his clothes.  He noticed that the kids had already taken care of their assignments there.   Grayson got what he needed, then headed out again. 

*****
Cait was honestly confused.  The meeting with her advisor had mostly consisted of interminable small talk and questions about her post graduation plans.  Just as she was getting ready to ask if there was anything else, his phone rang.  He apologized, picked it up, listened and thanked the person on the other end.  Then he turned his attention back to her, thanked her for coming in and told her to let him know if there was anything she needed. 

She headed out, glad that she hadn't bothered to change out of the running shorts and Duke basketball t-shirt she was wearing with her black Nikes for that meeting.  She was still shaking her head in confusion, playing with the end of her braid, when she looked down at her phone and saw the text from Grayson.  I'm at Cameron.  Can you meet me over here?  Can't wait to see you.  Love you.

So a weird day was getting weirder.  Why was he there?  And why would he want her to come there?  Usually the first thing they did when he got home did not involve a basketball court.  She'd been prepared for something else entirely.  But she responded as she walked to her car.  Just finished my meeting.  On my way.  Love you too.

*****
Cait arrived at Cameron and heard the ball bouncing in the gym.  It didn't appear that anyone else was around, so she walked in.  The doors closed behind her and the security staff immediately went about posting the signs that Cameron Indoor Stadium was temporarily closed to the public.

*****
She found Grayson on the court and just watched him for a long minute, enjoying the view. But eventually her patience got thin and she called out to him.  "What're you doing here?"

He turned to her with his big smile on his face.  "You know this is one of my favorite places in the world, especially when it's quiet," he smiled.  Then he turned and gestured to the empty arena.  "Look at this place," he walked toward the center of the court, setting the ball down. "This is where magic happens.  I have so many memories here.  But I wanted to make one more. Only I need your help for this one."