•144•

val

i saw nate walk into the cafe and when he spotted me he gave me a small smile. i remained seated and he sat across from me and licked his lips at me.

"you got me my muffin?" he smiled and i just stayed staring at him.

"you're a fucking idiot."

"woah, what -"

"you know i'm not pregnant with your kid." i pointed at him with one hand and slammed the other down onto the table.

"val, could you just listen to me?" he grabbed my hand gently and i yanked it away.

"why would you ever make up a lie like that? in front of his parents?" i rubbed my head in frustration.

it remained silent as i continued to look down at the table and once i looked up i saw nate biting his lip with tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"i'm sorry." he looked away and i raised my eyebrows.

"nate?" i questioned him.

he grabbed my hand gently and kissed my knuckles. he let his lips rest there before removing them to talk.

"i needed a reason for you to come back to me." he looked at me and my heart ached a little bit.

"nate.."

"listen, i am so sorry that i wasn't here for you when something bad happened to you, i really am. i regret every minute of it, and if i could take it back i would. i wish all of that pain upon myself every single day. all i can do is i promise i will make it up to you if you give me the chance."

as he finishes his sentence the cafe door bell rings up and my eyes divert up to two familiar faces.

i wipe nate's tears with my fingers and turn his
head to the same direction i'm looking.

"is that jack an madison?" he questions in shock and i nod.

he stands up and ends up slamming his chair against the wall.

"nate." i yell lowly trying not to attract attention, but i end up chasing after him.

in an instant i saw nate throw jack against the wall and jack caught off guard.

"what the fuck!" jack shoved nate off of him but nate shoves him back into the wall.

"you're a piece of garbage. out with another girl without her knowing and she's carrying your chi-" nate stops himself and looks at me for help.

"my child?" jack asks and looks at me.

i chuckle and nate let go of him. i become face to face with jack and he places a hand on stomach but i yank it off while connecting my palm with the side of his face.

"oh my gosh!" madison gasps and i give her a glare right before rushing back to my table.

i gathered my things and rushed out of the cafe with nothing but anger inside my body.

i couldn't even say i was hurt that i saw jack with madison. i didn't know what to expect with jack anymore. anything was possible.

jack or nate !?