166

val

"thank you" i say as jack pulls out my chair for me.

he sat across from me and gave me small smile and handed me a menu.

"everything sounds so good." i groaned and jack laughed at me.

"good evening, i'll be your server for tonight. may i start you guys with something to drink?" a man with an accent smiled at me, and i smiled back.

"i'll have a coke." jack said and the server nodded.

"and for the pretty lady?" he asked and i chuckled.

"i'll have a water with some lemon, please." i smiled and he hurried away to get our drinks.

i opened my menu looking at all of the yummy options to eat for dinner and looked up at jack. his jaw was tight and his leg was bouncing rapidly under the table - something he only did when he was frustrated.

"what's wrong?" i asked him and looked him in the eyes.

"nothing? why would anything be wrong?" he continued to look down at the menu, ignoring my stare.

"jack." i threw my head back in frustration and huffed.

"what? let's just enjoy dinner, shall we?" he smiled and grabbed my hand while rubbing my knuckles.

we had finished dinner and were now both picking at some cheesecake for dessert.

"so.." jack cleared his throat and wiped his face with the napkin.

"so?" i asked.

he sat up straight and smiled at me as well as taking both of my hands in his.

"would you ever consider, like - would you - like do you think about us?" he stuttered.

"what do you mean?" i asked him.

"do you ever think about us being a family again? just me, you, and landon?" he asks with a weak smile, my heart sank.

"jack.."

"val, please. i just - i need to know if i should try and move on." his voice cracked and he covered it up with a cough.

i swallowed the lump in my throat and looked down at my lap.

should val move on???