Imagine // I'm Here.

You're my best friend and we've always had feelings for each other but never told each other. One night, a car accident changes everything.

Kora sighed, filling in her charts from her previous patients. It had been a rough night. She'd already had to change scrubs from the bodily fluids patients had gotten on her. She had one hour to go and prayed nothing big would roll into her ER.

"Collier, Green, incoming!" The head nurse, Octavia, yelled at us.

Kora and Monty quickly pulled on gloves and met the EMTs at the door.

"Talk to me, Jasper." Monty says to the EMT.

"Car accident. Our patient was hit head on. Bleeding from the head, looks superficial, but his legs are pretty badly crushed." Jasper says.

Kora steps into the room and gasps, seeing her best friend on the stretcher. "John!"

Monty's eyes widen. "Oh, God... Murphy.."

Jasper looks between the two of them. "You know him?"

"John Murphy. Kora's best friend." Monty says, quickly springing into action and helping John. They end up taking him to surgery and Kora sits in the waiting room.

Hours later, the surgeon, Dr. Marcus Kane, comes out and walks straight over to her. "Kora. We've finished. The surgery went well, but I have some bad news.."

Kora sits up. "What is it?"

"There was excessive nerve damage in both of his legs, along with crushed bones. We got an ortho consult and nothing could be repaired. I'm afraid he's going to be paralyzed for the rest of his life."

Kora begins to panic at the news. "N-no, you're kidding. No. No way. This can't be happening."

Kane pulls her into a hug, without saying a word. She cries into his shoulder. Finally, she calms down and he takes her into the recovery room.

John is lying in the bed, bruised and looking helpless. She sits down next to the bed, resting her head in her hands.

Hours later, while Kora is asleep, he wakes up. "Kora?"

She jumps and her eyes widen when she sees him. "John! You're awake."

"What happened?"

"You were in a car accident. You're in the hospital."

He nods. "Kora... I can't feel my legs..."

Tears fill her eyes. "I know, John. The bones were crushed and there was extensive nerve damage. John, you're gonna be paralyzed."

John looks down, unsure of how to process the life changing information. "W-what... but how will... what do I do now?" Tears begin to fall down his cheeks.

Kora crawls on the bed next to him and pulls him into a tight, but gentle hug. "I'm here. I'm gonna take care of you."

~~~~~

Months later, John had gotten the hang of being in a wheelchair. He and Kora had decided to move in together so it'd be easier for her to take care of him. It was incredibly hard at first because he was so stubborn, but he had a soft spot for Kora, so he quickly gave in to her helping him.

It was 7:30pm and Kora had just gotten home from work. She opened the door to their place and was met with rose petals in the floor, leading to the dining room. She followed them, curiously, and was met with a romantic dinner on the table and John sitting in his wheelchair at one side of the table.

Tears fill her eyes. "John, what is this?"

"Kora, you've done so much for me these last few months. I can't thank you enough, but I wanted to do something special for you." He rolls his wheelchair over to her and takes her hands, gently. "Kora Collier, I'm in love with you. I've been in love with you since we were twelve years old and I beat up those kids for picking on you. And I'm even more in love with you now after how selfless you've been with me."

Tears fall down her cheeks as she listens to his words. "Oh, John... I've been in love with you since you beat up those boys. I'm even more in love with you now after how strong you've been despite your circumstances."

A broad smile makes its way across his face and he pulls her down onto his lap in the wheelchair. He grabs her face and kisses her, passionately. "I love you, Kora.." He says, resting his forehead against hers.

"I love you, John."