Imagine // My Symbol of Hope.

She was everyones symbol of hope. What kept everyone sane and together in this terrible time where everyone was on edge, and you couldn't completely trust everyone. Even those who were on your side. Murphy knew this, and it irked him to no end. He wasn't sure why.

He figures maybe he should learn to use you as support like everyone else does. You were ungodly beautiful, and though your kindness pissed him off, he couldn't help but find him staring at you sometimes. For long, over due moments when he would be entranced by your beauty. You were kind and self-less, you put those before yourself and cared about others wellbeing more than your own.

He guessed that was one of the reasons the bullshit 'symbol of hope' you had worked for yourself, pissed him off. You didn't focus enough on yourself and he knew that would only get you killed one day.

He teased you relentlessly. Mean and selfish names he would throw at you, and you would only further anger him when you'd smile at him. That wide and completely sincere smile that you had as you would laugh at his comment, a comment that would normally make anyone feel utterly alone and embarrassed.

You confused Murphy just as much as you intrigued him. You angered him just as much as you made him smile. You were a mystery to him, day again and again. He couldn't stand to be away from you but he hated being near you because he just let all his anger out on you. You made him mad but you didn't deserve his relentless name-calling and jokes that weren't so funny, and even he knew that.

But even now, as he feet led you to him, his eyes watching your form as you bent over to help Charlotte, a younger child, gather some food. The little girl smiled brightly up at you as you ruffled her hair, watching as she ran off. You straightened out and Murphy didn't miss the way you stretched and smiled up at the sky as if it was the reason for your happiness.

Murphy was on a mission. He was confused and he needed answers and you were the only one that he could go to for answers. When you two made eye contact, you immediately smiled up at him. Waving at him as Murphy walked emotionless towards you.

"Hello, John." That was another thing. You absolutely refused to called him by Murphy, which was something Murphy only wanted to be referred to as.

"I need to talk to you." Was all Murphy said as he grabbed your upper arm, gripping it tighter than he should as he yanked you towards his tent. He refused to ask such sentimental crap in front of the whole camp. You followed without argument, letting him yank you along.

Once you reached his tent, you followed him inside. You let your eyes wander over the tent, surprised to see it so neat. Murphy to you just didn't seem like the 'neat' type but really, who were you to make assumptions. Prying your eyes away from his tent, you reminded yourself it was rude to intrude of his personal space and let your eyes fall on Murphy.

"So?" You asked, crossing your arms in front of you, smiling. "What'd you need? Also, could we make it a bit quick. I'm sorry, but Cla-"

You missed the way Murphy's fists clenched and his jaw tightened as you rambled on before he abruptly cut you off. "Why do you let me call you such terrible names?" He spat out, his voice sharp and quick as he stared at you with a odd sense of vulnerability.

With wide eyes you opened your mouth, trying to find something to say. You hadn't expected such a blunt question like that. You were a tad bit confused when the boy did say he needed to talk to you, Murphy very rarely wanted to speak to you. "Um, what?"

Murphy sighed, letting go of his clenched fists as he finally looked back at you. "You... you always let me say such terrible stuff. Your a 'symbol for hope' is the damn camp but yet you let me walk all over you."

Suddenly realizing what you meant, you let a smile grow over your face. Ah, so that's what he meant. Daring, you took a step towards him, breaking the invisible boundary between the two of you. Reaching so you were only inches away from him. "Because you need it."

Now it was his turn to be confused. "What the hell do you mean by that?"

"John, you have so much anger inside you." You hesitantly raised your hand to his cheek, letting you thumb stroke his cheek. He seemed uncomfortable with it before you just smiled at him reassuringly. "I let you say these things because you need to let out all the anger you been cause. And i'm willing to be the one you do it to."

Murphy relaxed slightly, understanding why you let him do what he does. He had so much anger and maybe now, he understood why he always found himself making his way to you every time someone pissed him off or he remembered his father, being back on the ark. "But, why you?" Sure he understood why you did it, but why you? Why did you volunteer yourself.

You felt yourself warm up. Your cheeks becoming warm and your hand fell back to your side and you awkwardly tried to turn away. "W-Well..."

"Hold on." Murphy cut in, grabbing your arm and turning you towards him. "Do.. do you like me?"

You blushed even heavier, about to deny before you saw his expression and seeing the smirk on his face you knew he already knew. Looking down to the ground, you nodded. Expecting to hear some kind of teasing, like usual, you felt arms around you and yourself being embraced.

Shocked you looked up to see the underneath of Murphy's chin, before he placed it on you head. "Thank you." He whispered. And then all embarrassment left and you smiled, happy that he was finally accepting you. You snuggled into the hug.

"I do it because I love you."

Author: justauthoring