━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter two: difficult decisions█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter two: difficult decisions
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     EV-1 FINDS HER ON the abandoned rooftop of the academy, sitting with her feet dangling off the edge

EV-1 FINDS HER ON the abandoned rooftop of the academy, sitting with her feet dangling off the edge. Technically, the top of the building is off-limits to academy residents, but Indira had managed to coax Antilles into giving her a spare key months ago. The roof had become a place of solace for her; somewhere to look at the stars and remind herself, occasionally, that there was a great big universe waiting outside of the basement she kept herself confined to.

The small droid beeps lowly, alerting Indira to its presence, and she gives it a wan smile. "Hey, Evie," she says in greeting, pausing to listen to the droid's reply in binary. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just needed some air."

She watches the droid hover in the air just over the ledge, so they're nearly face to face. It gives Indira a chance to study her handiwork. EV-1 is a disastrous masterpiece made up of a mess of different pieces of silver and bronze scrap metal. Once, the droid had been nothing more than a discarded dysfunctional supervisor droid, scrapped and sold off for different parts. But, with a little tinkering, Indira had managed to make use of her remaining pieces and transform her into a hybrid bot. The modified EV-1 unit is roughly the size of Indira's head, with built-in repulsors so it can hover above ground. Its body is crafted out of spare scraps of sheet metal that have been painted white, but much of the paint has been scraped away to reveal silver and bronze beneath it. To top it all off, a singular black eyeball adorns the droid's face and a small antenna sticks off the tip of its head.

No real purpose has been programmed to EV-1, save for the sole responsibility of being Indira's friend — and yes, she is aware of how pathetic that is. But EV-1 also serves the unique purpose of keeping Indira functioning. That means reminding her to eat, to bathe, to sleep — all of the important things that Indira would otherwise be inclined to forget.

"I'm not too close to the edge," Indira scoffs, rolling her eyes when the droid warns her against sitting on the ledge of the building. "What are you — my mother?"