━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝗶𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter twelve: luminous █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter twelve: luminous
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     THERE ARE SOME days on base where it's easy to forget that the galaxy is at war

THERE ARE SOME days on base where it's easy to forget that the galaxy is at war. The vision of fighting and bloodshed, of death and destruction, is difficult to reconcile with the peaceful atmosphere found on D'Qar; a planet filled with rolling plains, lush jungles, and flourishing forests. In the midst of a place that is so beautiful, the ugliness of war often seems impossibly far away; a forgotten phantom lingering at the furthest edge of the galaxy.

     Today is not one of those days.

"This is a sad day," General Leia Organa announces, hand resting on the lid of the empty casket that has been displayed in the hangar. Cloaked in a gown of all black, she looks worn and thin; more ragged than Indira has ever seen her look before.

The entirety of the base has gathered in the hangar, quiet and somber for the funeral of their fallen comrade. Most of the crowd is dressed in mourning colors to signify the loss of L'ulo's life. To her left, Indira can see tears rolling freely down Jessika's face in silent grief, chin quivering as Kali holds her hand reassuringly. To her right, Poe Dameron watches the general with dry, red-rimmed eyes; stiff and unyielding as he keeps his gaze focused on his general.

It's the first time Indira has seen him since he returned from his mission. A few scrapes and bruises decorate his face and his right hand is wrapped tightly in gauze, but otherwise he seems to be physically unharmed; a small mercy in the midst of such tragedy. Still, that doesn't mean that he's not hurting. Grief is much easier to hide than flesh wounds — Indira knows this well. It is an art form that she once perfected.

"We have lost one of our own: L'ulo L'ampar," General Organa continues. "A skilled, fierce warrior who spent his life fighting on the side of all that is good and right in the galaxy. As he lived, he died, and we will miss him very much." She pauses momentarily, gaze falling on the young commander standing beside Indira. "Right now, I would like L'ulo's commanding officer to say a few words. Are you ready, Poe?"