━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝗹𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter forty-one: heroes and legends █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter forty-one: heroes and legends
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter forty-one: heroes and legends █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

"MASTER SKYWALKER, PLEASE," the girl begs. Frustration is evident in her tone as she follows the older man into the ruins of a Jedi Temple, forcing her presence onto him so that he is unable to ignore her. "Our friends — the Resistance, your sister — they're in trouble! We need to go to them. It's been months since I left them and they've been waiting all this time for me to return with you. They need us!"

Luke Skywalker sighs.

"Rey," he says, tired and weary from this argument. The very same argument that they have had almost every day in the months since the scavenger first landed on Anch-To, bearing the gift of his long-lost lightsaber. "I'd rather not do this today."

"You don't understand!" Rey protests. "It's different this time. They really do need us!"

"If that's true, then they don't need me," he contradicts her, taking a seat on the edge of the small pool at the center of the temple. "They need you. That was our deal from the beginning, remember? I train you to use the Force and you leave here, without me, after your training is complete."

Rey makes an impatient sound. "I only agreed to that deal because I thought that you would change your mind!"

"Well, I haven't," Luke replies, raising a brow at her. "And now that I know you were only trying to trick me, I feel cheated."

He hadn't wanted to train Rey at all in the beginning. When the girl had first arrived on the island in Han's old ship, Luke had done his damndest to send her away. The thought of ever training another Jedi again — of losing another student the way he lost Ben — was terrifying for him. But, Rey had been persistent and the presence of Chewbacca and R2-D2 had been enough to convince him to compromise. He had agreed to teach her about the Force — not the Jedi, who he had become entirely disillusioned with — and she would leave the island once she finished her lessons with him.