━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter fifty-two: the battle of crait █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter fifty-two: the battle of crait
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter fifty-two: the battle of crait █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

    RED AND WHITE. The two colors bleed together on the salted plains of Crait, flooding Poe's eyes as the Resistance speeders charge across the no-man's land between the blast door and the First Order barrage waiting on the other side. Poe feels his speeder wobble and shake as he forces it downwards, willing the small craft to work with him instead of against him. He'd once claimed that he could fly anything — and it was true — but the skim speeder was putting his skills to the test.

He had never missed Black One more than he does right now.

"All right, listen up," Poe announces, pushing aside the mournful thoughts of his old ship as the other speeders join him on the field. "I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but —"

Before he can even finish speaking, a metal panel beneath his foot pops out of the speeder and falls onto the ground below him. "What the hell," Poe mutters before he shakes his head to focus up. "Just keep it tight and don't get drawn in too close until they roll that cannon out front."

He continues pressing onwards, routinely letting his vision flit between the First Order troops directly ahead of him and the lines of pilots situated to the left and right of his ship. "Ground forces, lay down some fire," Poe requests, wanting to see if the guns of their troopers will be able to do any damage against the heavily armored walkers.

The fighters in the trench copy his order, releasing a stream of artillery fire against the First Order ensemble from the cannons near the base. To Poe's dismay, he watches the blasts mostly ricochet off the armor and do little to no damage against their opponents. Poe nearly swears at that discovery, but chooses to bite his tongue instead. If they were lucky, the cannon would be more vulnerable than the walkers. But that was a very big if and their luck seemed to be wearing thin as of lately.

As if in sync with his negative thoughts, a squadron of TIE fighters pull up from above the walkers in the distance. The TIEs rush towards the speeders, diving down and opening fire at point-blank range.