25 : Trust issues

Braylee

Braylee

      I carefully slipped myself into my teddy bear costume while constantly stealing glances at Piper, just to make sure that she's still asleep. Holding the head piece of my costume, I grabbed my phone and wallet and snuck out of our room.

      Once I got out of the dorm through the kitchen window, I ran towards Denver's car. He's already in the driver's seat and the door in the front seat is already open.

       As soon as I got in, I slammed the door shut and placed the head piece of my costume on my lap. I faced Denver, this time his head is no longer covered with his costume. I can see the smile in his face clearly. "Seatbelt," he reminded and I hurriedly obliged.

       "Why are you wearing your teddy bear costume?" I asked. 

        He cranks up the engine of his car and looks at me through the rear-view mirror. "People could recognize me. Rumors spread like wildfire these days. You can't be caught in a rumor with me, you have enough problems to deal with," he says, making me smile. 

       "Why are you wearing your costume?" Denver turned the question around.

      "Because you're wearing yours," I answered. As simple as that.

      "Where to, teddy?" Denver chuckled.

      "18!" I said with pride.

       "Where's that?" Denver asked curiously.

       "What's 7 plus 11?" I asked and giggled.

        Denver shouts in frustration, making me laugh.

****

      "Ma'am, sir, pakitanggal ng maskara," the guard stops us before we could even enter the store. Denver turns to look at me and that's when I took off the head piece of his costume. 

       "Sigurado ka?" tanong ni Denver. Pawisan na ang mukha niya at basa narin ang buhok niya kaya nagkaroon tuloy siya ng basang bangs ng wala sa oras.

        Tinanggal ko naman ang sa akin sabay ayos ng buhok ko. "It's midnight and we're no longer in campus. Wala naman sigurong makakakilala sa atin dito, tingnan mo oh, wala rin halos customer," giit ko sabay turo sa mga matatandang nagkakape sa loob.

***

        "Masarap?" I asked, excited to see his reaction after getting a taste of his first ice cream sandwich. Denver nods as he chews, making me smile even more.