46 : The past and the present

         Minulat ni Braylee ang kanyang mga mata at natagpuan ang kanyang sariling nakahiga parin sa mga bisig ni Denver. Mahimbing ang tulog ng binatang nakayakap sa kanya kaya naman dahan-dahan siyang bumangon upang huwag itong magising.

         Dahil hindi makatulog, lumabas muna si Braylee mula sa silid. Nakaka ilang hakbang pa lamang siya sa sala nang makita niya ang Ama ng binata na nakatayo sa harapan ng isang picture frame. Lumapit siya rito at napagtanto niyang sa isang litrato ito nakatingin--isang litrato kung saan kasama niya ang mga batang sina Denver at Warren habang kapwa nakangiti ng malapad.

       "Which one is Denver po?" tanong ni Braylee at lumitaw ang maliit na ngiti sa mukha nito nang ituro ang bunsong anak na nakabusangot sa litrato. "Denver wasn't always cold and grumpy. He used to be such a happy kid. This is our last picture together. Because in this photo, he had no idea I was his father. In this photo, Denver and Warren had no idea they were brothers."

        "W-were they friends?" hindi maiwasang magtanong ng dalaga.

       Tumango ang doktor. "When I learned that I had another son, all I ever wanted was for them to be friends and become the brothers that they are. I told Warren's Mother about Denver. The news was hard for her at first, but she was never mad at Denver, she was mad at me. But my wife eventually forgave me. She wanted Denver and Warren to be friends so we made Denver transfer to Warren's elementary school. I asked Warren to befriend Denver and they immediately got along, for a few days they came friends but they found out the truth and since then Warren had always hated and picked on Denver."

       Dumako ang tingin ko sa isang picture frame kung saan kasama ng batang si Warren ang kanyang ama at ina. "I-is that Warren's Mom?" tanong ni Braylee.

        "Warren's Mom was a patient of mine. She was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease but every time I was with her, I began to love her. I never cared about what everyone said, I loved her and it was the only thing that mattered to me so I married her. But one night I made a mistake... I slept with another patient of mine," 

        "Denver's Mom..." mahinang sambit ni Braylee dahilan para tumango ito.

        "I didn't know that I got his Mom pregnant. I only learned about Denver when he was rushed to the hospital after an accident at school," paliwanag pa nito. "I may not have been the perfect husband and father, but I love both of my son equally and unconditionally. I don't deserve their forgiveness but I want to make it up to them."

        "D-does Warren really have Huntington's?" muling pumatak ang luha mula sa mga mata ni Braylee kaya naman agad niya itong pinunasan. "I know you're a doctor but you can't just diagnose someone like that right? I mean, can you run some tests first?" hindi mapakali ang mga kamay ni Braylee at patuloy ang pagpatak ng kanyang mga luha.

        "When Warren was younger, I conducted a predictive genetic test and he showed signs of developing Huntington's Disease like her Mom. According to the tests, sooner or later, he will develop it. His Mom discovered the test results and the guilt," tumigil ang doktor sa pagsasalita at kasabay nito ang pagpatak ng kanyang mga luha. "She blamed herself for Warren's fate. She thinks that she gave Warren the disease and she was scared to see him in pain like her. She was still suffering with Huntington's so her emotions got the best of her and she succumbed to depression, eventually claiming her own life."