54 : Numb

            "Braylee, wala na ang kuya mo."

           Piper's words echoed in Braylee's mind but instead of crying, Braylee's face just went blank. The life left her eyes as it continued to look ahead. Not shedding a single tear, not saying a single word.

          She tried to save everyone when in fact she was the one who needed to be saved

          She tried to make everyone happy when in fact she was the one who needed to be.

         And as her world crumbled, Braylee could no longer pretend that everything's okay.

****

         "Did she say anything to you?" Piper asked anxiously as Denver walked out of the door. 

        Denver shook his head, he had a blank expression on his face but deep inside he's filled with worry. "She won't talk to me either, she's just staring blankly ahead." 

        "Oh God," Piper covered her mouth as she continued to sob uncontrollably. "Do you know about this?! Do you know that her brother suffered from ALS?!" 

        Denver nodded. "Braylee thought you've had enough problems so she didn't tell you."

        "What?!" Piper was devastated. "Ba't niya naman naisip yon?! She must have suffered so much and we had no idea!" Piper cried.

        "Braylee loves you so much that she wanted to make you happy in every way that she could, even if it means acting dumb and doing dumb stuff, even if it means pretending she's okay," Denver said with his emotionless voice. 

        Hearing this, Piper hurriedly went inside their room and found Braylee lying on her bed, tucked in her blanket, facing the wall. Piper wanted to berate Braylee for her choices but as she opened her mouth, no words came out. Instead, she continued to sob uncontrollably. It broke Piper's heart; looking at braylee and realizing everything she's ever done to make them happy.

        Piper layed beside Braylee, hugging her from behind, holding her cold trembling hands. "Your happiness is as important as ours. You matter just as we do. We love you and we're always here for you, okay?" Piper said in between her eyes but Braylee did not say anything, instead she just closed her eyes.

****

         It was already 2 in the morning but Piper couldn't sleep or rest, not even for a minute. She stood up and realized that Braylee's already asleep. Instead of going back to bed, Piper takes her phone and jacket.