5. Guildmasters

"That was quite the speech, Guildmaster." Tepin sat on one of the couches in Cal's office while Cal busied himself at his desk.

"Why thank you Guildmaster." Cal's pen didn't stop. This was so much faster when I was able to type things, maybe I should get Fina to invent a typewriter or something.

"Did you plan that out, do you have it written down somewhere?" Tepin asked.

Cal sighed and looked at him with a tired weak smile. "Would you believe I got caught up in the heat of the moment and just started spouting whatever came to my mind?"

Tepin looked at him blankly, then laughed a deep hardy laugh.

"You really are something else Master Cal... Can I ask you something?"

"Go for it."

"Why are you doing all this?"

Cal sighed, "would you believe I enjoy it?"

Tepin laughed. "You'll have to explain that to me."

Cal stopped writing and then braced his head with his hand and looked off into the distance. "Backed into a corner, no way out but through, under staffed with a low level crew, underestimated, staring at three big ugly beasties. It gets the blood pumping don't you think?" Cal smiled at the nostalgic memories. "Watching them grow from nothing into something great, and knowing you had a hand in it even if it was just a push in the right direction. Like watching a roaring fire grow out of an ember, I just can bring myself to look away."

Cal returned his gaze to Tepin, "Does that make sense?"

Tepin crossed his arms while leaning back on the couch. He stared at the ceiling as if mulling something over. "You're not like other elves are you, Cal?"

It was Cal's turn to laugh. "I've heard that before."

Tepin smiled. "You seem like a good man, I'm trusting you with the princess's life."

"Which one?" Cal laughed.

"True, it sounds like you have a surplus, don't you? Either way, I want you to know that I have a good eye for character, you have a good guild here. And they have a great leader. I expect to hear good things from the Smiling guild." he teased.

Cal let his head fall off his hand. "Dammit, I really hope that name doesn't stick."

Tepin laughed. "Don't worry, this guild's goals are no joke. I'll respect it. A part of me wishes that I could have started my Adventurering days here. It sounds like you're all in for one wild ride."

"I've got an idea, how about we trade. Just for like a year or so. I'll lead your guild and you mine, at least until the ride is over."

Tepin's roaring laugh showed no sighed of accepting that deal. "Now, Cal, I ain't near as fool or as crazy as you. This is your kind of war, not mine. I prefer enemies I can sink my teeth into."

"Be careful, the Oathkeepers tend to bite back." Cal grinned showing off his incisors.

"I look forward to seeing a bite from little Alice."

"Don't underestimate her, she grew up in the dark forest. And she's in line to be the next brood mother. Her bite is a lot worse than her bark. I guarantee it."

"I'll take your word for it." Tepin smiled.

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" Cal called.

"Master, Diana just dropped these off for you." Wendy came in with a letter and three books.

I thick brown one, a semi thick blue one and a thin one that didn't look like it had much more than a hundred pages.

"Perfect I was hoping to get these soon." Cal grabbed them and scanned the letter. "That's a shit stain on Christmas..."

"What?" Wendy looked confused.

Right, they didn't have Christmas here... what did they have? The anniversary of his and Shayley's engagement 250 years ago, and his birthday, maybe? He had to look into it now. They had Christmas and Halloween events back when it was a game but did they still do things like that after all this time?

"Nevermind, Wendy, here is a list of the staff I want you to hire." Cal handed her a list.

It was a simple list meant to integrate the new races a little more. A few waspkin for the café. A Arachne female with good social skills, a Lamia, a gargoyle/harpy pair, and an Elf of good standing preferably one of the original resident's children. He also had a list of requirements.

Wendy furrowed her brow when she looked at the paper.

"Master, why did you write down 'big boobs' three times? Aren't you engaged!" she slammed the list on the desk.

"Back it up, Wendy. You are not usually this agitated, and last night you were all smiles. What happened?" Cal gave Tepin a look and Tepin snuck out of there.

"Men, master! Men have me agitated, you are all the same!" Wendy shouted.