177. Eve of War

Below the guild at the door to the dungeon a single fox maiden sat with a book as she waited. It was a love story and she was at the edge of her seat as it told the tale of a brave knight hero saving a princess. Her tails swished in the air excitedly as she read the scene where the brave knight entered the great hall with his party after slaying a dragon. They came to stop the villain from having his way and just when the doors in her story burst open her ear flicked at the sound of footsteps.

She looked up from her book and looked up towards the stairs that lead down to her lobby but that wasn't where the footsteps were coming from. She looked to her right and the doors to the dungeon opened revealing a proud warrior with pink wings.

Vera took a deep breath and inhaled the gentle incense of the lobby. Her school uniform was covered in soot, dirt, and dried blood.

"We made it." She declared.

At that moment a dark elf with a purple familiar followed her. Seamus. Behind him Juliette, Greffin, and Jasmine all entered the lobby.

"We did it." Jasmine said.

"We did it!" Juliette screamed with joy.

The six of them joined in a group hug with a celebratory cheer. The fox maiden smiled and set her book down.

Fairytale heroes were one thing, but the genuine article was before her. Once they were done crying, she filed them to the built-in infirmary next to the lobby and gave them all check-ups. She nursed their wounds and had them take some medicine and supplements to help with their fatigue. Once they were fixed up, she led them to a room they hadn't seen before that had private stalls for showers. There was even one big enough for Jasmine and her snake body.

When they got out, they were handed fresh sets of clothes. Graduation uniforms is what they were told. They were crisp black uniforms with white embroidery. Each one had a short cape and Seamus's covered his cursed arm that was home to a world tree sapling. On each of their lapels was a gold embroidered symbol. It was an 'H' with a fang design inside a laurel.

Before they could put them on, they were practically kidnapped by a new wave of fox maidens of all ages.

"Isn't this a bit much?" Vera asked as the fox maiden cut her hair and then used both magic and hair product to style it.

"Oh please," the fox maiden giggled. "You can't seriously think I'd let you go greet everyone looking like a hobo. Not after my lady spent these last few days training you in the gauntlet." She waved her fingers about and Vera's hair moved in response.

Once again, the hero party entered the lobby for the dungeon entrance and this time, they looked like proper heroes. They completely lived up to the 'dressed to impress' standard. They laughed shyly at how good they looked and ascended the stairs at the foxes' promptings.

*

The hero party entered the guild building and were greeted by their friends and family applauding their arrival.

"I am proud to present the very first graduates of the North Wind Academy." Peter said proudly. "Vera's Hero Party!"

Vera was completely taken aback by the ceremony.

She remembered the day she watched so many beautiful people walking into the castle and envied them. But today this party was for her. Her little siblings Grit, Ulan, and Olca came and gave her a great big hug. She couldn't hold back the tears and hugged them back. Dakota and Anastasia were the next to congratulate her. For the first time since she lost her father, she felt like she was part of a real family.

*

Cal stood next to Achilles while everyone congratulated the graduates.

"Come to gloat?" Achilles snapped.

"Nah, I came to tell you how impressed I am with your work." Cal smiled.

"While gloating?" Achilles rolled her eyes.

"Look, I know we don't get along. There isn't much I can do about what happened in the past. Or about what happened to your father." Cal said. "I don't have a lot of time left for much of anything."

"So what? Are you asking for a truce? I already told you, that I'll never accept you." Achilles spat.

"That's fine." Cal shrugged. "Just know that I'm sorry, and don't hold it against Ophelia and Seamus. One day they are going to need someone, and I won't be able to be there."

"Pfft. Whatever." Achilles brushed him off.

"Thank you." Cal said before joining the celebration.

"Just one more day and I'll be rid of you, right?" Achilles clicked her tongue and left. "The world will be better off without people like you."

*

Shayley leaned against the railing of one of the landings high in her castle. She was looking out at the forest at the edges of her territory. The fires of war were at her doorstep. She'd confirmed that all the elves of the north forest had been nearly exterminated and turned into powerful undead. Her view that had once been filled with green as far as the eye could see was now blackened with smoke and fire.

The enemy army was only a day out. Cal had been right. Tomorrow would be the end.

"Getting nervous?" Fauna walked up and leaned against the railing with her.

"Is it that obvious?" Shayley chuckled.

"Heh, no. but I know you." Fauna gave her a loving shove with her shoulder. "You're afraid of losing him, huh?"

"I am still a woman in love." Shayley held out her left hand and looked at the ring. "I wished for him to come back. Why wouldn't I be afraid that I'd lose him so soon?"

"We lived this long without him. I'm sure we'd be able to survive." Fauna rubbed Shayley's shoulder trying to comfort her.

"I don't want to survive, Fauna. I want to thrive." Shayley said as she put her hand down and looked at the guild building off in the city. "These last few weeks have taught me what that means, and I don't know if I could do it without him."

"Shay, we are going to win." Fauna urged. "I'm going to make sure of it. So have a little faith in the rest of us."

"But what about the new kids?" Shayley chuckled. "They've never seen the city in battle mode, have they?"

Fauna chuckled too. "They are definitely in for a surprise when the three tiers are established."

"No kidding. Cal's going to be working full time until then to make the city safe enough for the new soldiers." Shayley sighed. "He won't be able to stand on the wall with me and invite the army in."

"I still think it would be best if you did it alone. The queen of blades with a solid declaration of war." Fauna waved an invisible sword around playfully.

"Just thinking about it makes me feel so restless. Tomorrow everything will be decided." Shayley turned to her friend. "Cal's made his play. Let's make sure we can live up to his expectations."

"Don't worry, I plan on surpassing his expectations at every turn." Fauna said looking out at the city. "We have to."