65. What Purge?

But the image of Cal's smile stuck with Seamus. It was a sincere smile of joy. At that moment something awoke in Seamus. He wanted a dream like Cal's, but more importantly one day he'd like to smile like he just did.

The Brother Calloway he thought he used to know wasn't a total myth. They both had a smile that could warm his tired soul. Maybe one day he'd find a girl like the ones that Cal had around him. for some reason he thought back to the random girl he'd seen before entering palace with Cal before the birth of the kingdom of Calphian. She was a mystery to him.

A curious kind of mystery, one he'd like to unlock. He wanted to discover more about her. Is this a quest? An adventure perhaps? ... but he knew nothing about her. And it was so dark and she was so covered in filth that he couldn't distinguish her features.

Seamus sighed. "But what if I discover a quest that's practically impossible?"

That was when Cal's entire demeanor changed into a sparkling excitement. "That's easy my boy. You see the harder the quest the bigger the payout. Always remember one thing when life seems impossible: Anything worth having is worth earning. But don't get caught up in the treasure, if you only focus on the prize it's easy to get disappointed with the result. Enjoy the challenge, relish the opportunity to push yourself, and fall in love with the journey and the people you find along the way."

He patted Seamus and Ophelia on the knees. "That's how I found you guys. In my selfish quest to do something or other, I selflessly found some of my greatest treasures." Then he squeezed Seamus's nose between his thumb and forefinger.

Seamus sputtered backward.

"Now don't get a big head, cabin boy. I'm not going to give you any excuse to slack off, you are still the possibly the worst druid I have ever seen." Cal laughed.

The weasel yipped in agreement.

"By the way what have you name the Raiju?" Ophelia asked.

"I just call him angry weasel." Seamus sighed as familiar claws began stabbing into his scalp.

""Worst Druid Ever!"" Cal and Ophelia said in sync with deadpan eyes full of disappointment.

Seamus sagged at the two pronged assault on his competency.

*

After Cal's lesson with Seamus he met with Yvette in the captain's quarters at his table.

The room was still well lit with afternoon light streaming in. Selene sat on a spare chair nervously while Shayley lounged on the bed snacking on some snacks that Cal's mom packed for her when she discovered Shayley liked spicy snacks. There were beans, bean sized rolls of meat, and nuts all covered in salty spices.

Cal leaned back in his chair as his started pulling out a few files.

"I've transcribed all the knowledge I have on the members in these files." Cal said in full business mode.

"You really think this is enough?" Yvette asked while pouring over them.

"No, I deliberately left out many details." Cal sat leaned forward.

Yvette raised an eyebrow at him. "you are deliberately giving me inadequate information?"

"No, I am giving you what you need to know. As a guildmaster, interpersonal relations can be as important as anything since your job is to help those under you not only succeed but survive. In the future you will be interning under me, many of your responsibilities will be a mix between Wendy's and my own. You will be required to go on quests just like the others but otherwise you'll be shadowing me." Cal sighed and scratched his head. "Unfortunately, you won't be able to spend as much time with Alea as you'd like." Cal gave a teasing wink.